AHK Wacom pen button problem

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Jelleeey

AHK Wacom pen button problem

Post by Jelleeey » 20 Jun 2021, 02:19

Hey guys,

I will try to explain this problem as simple as possible so please bare with me :)

CONTEXT
I am a mac user that is making the transition to a windows system. I am almost done making the transition, but unfortunately there is one program, Adobe Photoshop that I use for my work all the time that is almost unusable for me. I use it in combination with a Wacom Intuos tablet (I am an artist) and on my mac I use the buttons that are on the wacom pen to pan around the canvas as well as zooming in and out. Pressing this button is where the problem occurs.

PROBLEM
When I press the pen button, initially it works as expected. I press the pen button, then press the pen on the tablet, drag around the tablet and it pans the canvas (or zooms in if I press alt). Holding the button and dragging after the initial drag will cause a lag of 0,5 second where nothing responds. This sounds like not a big deal, but I use this command 10000 times a day so it is a real productivity killer that will get me out of my creative flow. So this has to be solved.

SOLUTIONS I TRIED
I tried to install different versions of photoshop and different wacom drivers. I played around with windows INK etc.. I spent hours and hours online and unfortunately nothing works. It is a known fact that windows, photoshop and wacom don't get along very well and many many users on forums have all kinds of different problems with photoshop and wacom. Now I invested already a lot of time in this and am done trying out different version of drivers and software.

AHK SOLUTION
The angle I want to investigate now is to try to hack around the problem using AHK. During my investigations I noticed that the initial first press with the pen, while holding the pen button, works as expected. The second press while cause the lag. If I physically release the pen button after every pan or zoom this will prevent the lag from occcuring. Now the idea is to have the script make the computer think the button is released after everytime the initial press is done succesfully, so that it 'resets' and makes it think that the pen button is released.

An important detail to know is that the problem specifically occurs only at the pen button. If I do the same command on the keyboard (pen button is mapped to spacebar) this will work without problems. So AHK has to not do anything shortkey related, but target the USB device of the wacom pen and send a {pen button up} command (or something like that) targeted at the wacom device itself. I have no idea how to do this or if this is even possible somehow. Now I am no programmer and I was able to solve some easier problems with AHK (also with the help of you guys, thank you!) but this is too difficult for me. If anyone could help me with this I would even be happy to give money for anyone to solve this shit :P

Hope you guys will look into this because this is an important problem for me to solve!

boiler

Re: AHK Wacom pen button problem

Post by boiler » 20 Jun 2021, 03:53

For what it’s worth as another data point, I have a Wacom Intuos tablet that I use with Photoshop (CS5), and I have not encountered these types of issues. However, I have my pen buttons set up differently, so I don’t know if I might see the same issues if I were to set them up the way you have them.

Jelleeey

Post by Jelleeey » 20 Jun 2021, 12:03

boiler wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 03:53
For what it’s worth as another data point, I have a Wacom Intuos tablet that I use with Photoshop (CS5), and I have not encountered these types of issues. However, I have my pen buttons set up differently, so I don’t know if I might see the same issues if I were to set them up the way you have them.
The oldest Photoshop version I have tried is CC2018, but I might try out an older one like CS5, to see if this issue will occur. I'll let you know if it helped.

Jelleeey

Post by Jelleeey » 20 Jun 2021, 12:56

boiler wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 03:53
Could you maybe tell me exactly what wacom driver and photoshop version (when you click on about, you will see the full version number) you are on? And do you use windows 10 or an older one?

boiler

Post by boiler » 20 Jun 2021, 13:34

The Wacom driver is version 3.8.10.4, dated 10/16/2017.

Photoshop is version CS5 12.0 x64.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro, version 2004 (not year 2004), OS build 19041.1052.

Jelleeey

Post by Jelleeey » 20 Jun 2021, 15:55

boiler wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 13:34
The Wacom driver is version 3.8.10.4, dated 10/16/2017.

Photoshop is version CS5 12.0 x64.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro, version 2004 (not year 2004), OS build 19041.1052.
Thanks! I will check these out!

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”