Modify the "Original Location" of a file in the Recycle Bin

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
SirSocks

Modify the "Original Location" of a file in the Recycle Bin

Post by SirSocks » 22 Sep 2021, 08:21

Hello,
My workflow requires me to move files and folders frequently, at the end of my workflow the files will end up in an "archived" folder and eventually deleted. I would like the ability to change the Original Location of a file path within the recycle bin. This way if I "Restore the selected item" from the recycle bin, it will proceed to the folder of my choosing.

Question: Is there any to modify the "Original Location" of a file path within the Recycle Bin?

All help and guidance is appericated.

mikeyww

Re: Modify the "Original Location" of a file in the Recycle Bin

Post by mikeyww » 22 Sep 2021, 10:28

I've never heard of that-- which usually means that someone actually knows exactly how it is accomplished :) -- though a workaround could be that you create your own trash bin with "interim" files to be deleted, and you can then automate both the recycling of those files as well as the restoration of them.

On my system, I run a program that copies all new files to a particular directory (excluding files with specified extensions). It then deletes all such files if they are more than one week old. In the meantime, I can do whatever I want with the copies.

SirSocks

Post by SirSocks » 22 Sep 2021, 11:11

@mikeyww Thanks for your suggestion, That sounds like a reasonable work around. I'll continue searching for a way to modify the "Original Location".

swagfag

Post by swagfag » 22 Sep 2021, 20:48

when u send a file to the recycle bin nothing actually happens with it besides that its hidden and a "shortcut" is placed in the recycle bin.
but the file remains where it originally was on disk, so the only solution is to have moved the file beforehand... probably.
i dont care enough about this to research it myself, u can look around or ask on the microsoft forums i suppose

SirSocks

Post by SirSocks » 23 Sep 2021, 09:45

@swagfag Thanks for your insight, I'll try to figure out where the "shortcut" is stored (so I can modify its path).

gregster

Post by gregster » 23 Sep 2021, 10:14

SirSocks wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 09:45
@swagfag Thanks for your insight, I'll try to figure out where the "shortcut" is stored (so I can modify its path).
Then you would probably just break the shortcut... as long as the file still stays at its original position.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”