Code Puzzle Thread

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
teadrinker

Re: Code Puzzle Thread

Post by teadrinker » 21 Jan 2023, 05:33

Hi!
Not quite got it, is my solution incorrect?

Code: Select all

_unset(v*) => (e := v.__Enum(1), c := (*) => (e(&a), !%a% := unset), StrGet(Buffer(v.Length*2, 1)) ~= '.(?Cc)')

Helgef

Post by Helgef » 21 Jan 2023, 09:32

That solution is not acceptable, you are not allowed to assign unset as that was not possible at the time of the puzzle start. Moreover, I think !%a% := unset is undefined and should probably throw.

The foreach oneliner should use the * operator instead of the regex callout thingy. See :arrow: Variadic function call

Cheers.

teadrinker

Post by teadrinker » 21 Jan 2023, 09:53

Helgef wrote: you are not allowed to assign unset as that was not possible at the time of the puzzle start.
Ok, I dont mind. :)
But you must have forgotten to mention this rule in the puzzle statement:
Helgef wrote: Puzzle rules:Your solution must consist of only one line, i.e., write _unset(v*) => .... You can assume that v.has(n) is true for n = 1,..,v.length. Edit: you may not call _unset from within _unset.
Helgef wrote: Moreover, I think !%a% := unset is undefined and should probably throw.
Really? Why didn't I notice it.
Helgef wrote: However, once a variable has been assigned a value, there is no obvious way to make it uninitialised again
Why not:

myvar := 3
myvar := unset
MsgBox 'OK'
MsgBox myvar  ; <——— Error: This variable has not been assigned a value.

teadrinker

Post by teadrinker » 21 Jan 2023, 09:59

Or was it a condition of the task? :)
Oh, I read this:
Helgef wrote: Edit: This puzzle must not use changes made in beta 12 since these makes the unsetting part of the puzzle trivial
Now I'm starting to figure things out.

Helgef

Post by Helgef » 16 May 2023, 12:39

Send in your solution as a private message to me, so that everyone gets a chance to consider the problem before solutions are posted.
Puzzle 17 - A pseudo-pseudo-array
Puzzle description: Doing repeated string concatenations with variables is very fast, but with array elements it is borderline useless in some cases. Hence, sometimes pseudo-arrays are useful. But since, in v2 we cannot create a variable like var%expr% := ..., we have to explicitly define each variable in the pseudo-array beforehand. This might not be feasible in some cases, why we need another solution.
Problem example,

N := 100000
; normal array
a:=['a']
t1 := A_TickCount
loop N
	a[1] .= 'a'
t2 := A_TickCount
;pseudo-array
b1:='b'
t3 := A_TickCount
loop N
	b%'1'% .= 'b'
t4 := A_TickCount
msgbox 'a:`t' t2-t1 '`nb:`t' t4-t3
Puzzle objective: Create a substitute for the pseudo-array which has similar flexibility and performance. Define c in the code below and complete the code in the the loop body

c[1] := 'c' ; define c

t5 := A_TickCount
loop N
	; complete the loop
t6 := A_TickCount
When you put the code in the first example you should get something like,

a:	906
b:	0
c:	16
Puzzle rules: You must perform N number of .= 'c' such that c reference a string of length N+1 of c:s. The index and name 1 is just an example, your code should work for any reasonable amount of indices/names, even if they are not known when writing the script.

Note1: Puzzle 15 is still unsolved, please consider it too :)

Cheers.

Helgef

Post by Helgef » 20 May 2023, 10:38

@teadrinker has provided a nice solution for puzzle 17 and will be awarded one point. But there is still some room for improvement, so do not hesitate to give it a try. I will post teadrinkers solution (much) later.

Cheers.

Return to “General Discussion”