Improve AutoCorrect.ahk Constantly

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
arshit09

Improve AutoCorrect.ahk Constantly

Post by arshit09 » 15 Mar 2024, 10:49

I wanted to make a GitHub repo for this famous AutoCorrect script https://www.autohotkey.com/download/AutoCorrect.ahk to create some kind of open-source project (more of a crowdsource project) to collect all the typos people make. I have a few thousand followers on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/geek_updates so I think I'll be able to collect a lot of typos by announcing it frequently so people can contribute. My main motive behind this is to make people aware of the legendary AHK and its use case, in this case, AutoCorrect. So that people can focus more on their work rather than fixing typos. Recently I was adding my typos to the AHK script and I've got the idea that I can ask my audience for help to make this script more helpful.

So my question is,
(1) is there anything already out there who is maintaining up-to-date list or some kind of ever-growing list? I did the quick forum search and GitHub search but couldn't find the exact thing I was looking for.

I posted this same thing on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoHotkey/comments/1bf54re/improve_autocorrectahk/ and one guy commented that adding thousands of typos will make CPU bogged. Here's the comment link if you want to read the detailed reply: https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoHotkey/comments/1bf54re/comment/kuyao5f/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3 .

So my other question is,
(2) Is it really that concerning? I was thinking that AHK is super lightweight and it won't stress the CPU even having thousands of hotstrings. Am I missing something here or something that I don't understand?

I really love AHK, and especially the potential of the AutoCorrect.ahk to improve the productivity and remove that everyday's little annoyance of correcting typos.

Any help or suggestions would be great, thanks!!
Last edited by gregster on 15 Mar 2024, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed some brackets [] from the URLs which broke the links.

kunkel321

Re: Improve AutoCorrect.ahk Constantly

Post by kunkel321 » 03 Apr 2024, 15:51

Hi @arshit09. Welcome to the forums.

I have a version that I've been sharing. It's not really a "group" thing, though, it's just maintained by me. Do you make use of the "multi-match" word middle items? I mean like (for example)

Code: Select all

:?*:altion::lation 
Which can potentially fix about 448 English words, if they are misspelled in the way that matches. A while back I went through the original 2007 AutoCorrect.ahk list and optimized as many as possible to make them multi-match items... I've also added several from other sources. Currently I have about 5k items. They can potentially fix like 360k different typos though, which is pretty cool.
Totals
===========================
Regular Autocorrects: 660
Word Beginnings: 2,568
Word Middles: 1,895
Word Ends: 338
Total Entries: 5,461
Potential Fixes: 360,159
If you want to read about the process, of converting them, checkout the download here:
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=120220&start=20#p559328
It has a PDF manual that attempts to explain the process.

The newest version of the code is further down in the same thread, here:
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=120220&start=60#p565896
The newer download doesn't have the manual though...
It does have a "ManualCorrectionLogger" tool though, which is worth checking out.

EDIT: Also, fyi... If you have multiple folks contributing, you will inevitably get duplicate hotstrings. I made tool to identify duplicate and "conflicting" hotstrings. It is the first code block on this reply.
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=120220&start=20#p559873
The above-mentioned pdf manual discusses what "conflicting hotstrings" are.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

AntonellaBiserka

Re: Improve AutoCorrect.ahk Constantly

Post by AntonellaBiserka » 07 Apr 2024, 20:01

kunkel321 wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 15:51
Hi @arshit09. Welcome to the forums.

I have a version that I've been sharing. It's not really a "group" thing, though, it's just maintained by me. Do you make use of the "multi-match" word middle items? I mean like (for example)

Code: Select all

:?*:altion::lation 
Which can potentially fix about 448 English words, if they are misspelled in the way that matches. A while back I went through the original 2007 AutoCorrect.ahk list and optimized as many as possible to make them multi-match items... I've also added several from other sources. Currently I have about 5k items. They can potentially fix like 360k different typos though, which is pretty cool.
Totals
Regular Autocorrects: 660
Word Beginnings: 2,568
Word Middles: 1,895
Word Ends: 338
Total Entries: 5,461
Potential Fixes: 360,159
If you want to read about the process, of converting them, checkout the download here:
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=120220&start=20#p559328
It has a PDF manual that attempts to explain the process.

The newest version of the code is further down in the same thread, here:
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=120220&start=60#p565896
The newer download doesn't have the manual though...
It does have a "ManualCorrectionLogger" tool though, which is worth checking out.

EDIT: Also, fyi... If you have multiple folks contributing, you will inevitably get duplicate hotstrings. I made tool to identify duplicate and "conflicting" hotstrings. It is the first code block on this reply.
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=120220&start=20#p559873
The above-mentioned pdf manual discusses what "conflicting hotstrings" are.
This is commendable bro. 5000+ lines! I just love the flexibility of AutoHotkey. You make it sound easy.

Return to “General Discussion”