Is there a difference between software and hardware macros?

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Dijanigo

Is there a difference between software and hardware macros?

Post by Dijanigo » 17 Aug 2022, 14:26

Sup guys, i hope this is the right place and the right question to ask.

A little background: i'm playing an online rpg where manually executing a skill via hotkeys gives you extra benefits, such as lower skill cooldown and less mana usage. You're basically getting rewarded for not just pressing the hotkey for the skill.

i'm using AHK for some inputs and it works in most situations, although it's pretty wonky as my AHK inputs will sometimes just get eaten by the latency or whatever the reason is. The thing is, manually inputting the directions on the keyboard always works, no issues ever.

Now my question: Is there a difference between software and hardware macros? Would it make a difference if i buy a keyboard with macro keys or would it still be software based? I was thinking that it might make a difference since the inputs are technically coming from the keyboard and are therefore more reliable. But maybe i'm just wrong x)

Thanks and have a nice day!

swagfag

Re: Is there a difference between software and hardware macros?

Post by swagfag » 11 Dec 2022, 18:52

software inputs may be easier for the devs to detect and filter out, but uve already confirmed urself they work, so this point is irrelevant.
Dijanigo wrote:
17 Aug 2022, 14:26
The thing is, manually inputting the directions on the keyboard always works, no issues ever
because ure not a robot and are holding the keys for longer. also, ur keyboard may be behaving differently to how uve coded ur script(eg auto-repeat). 0also, ur script may be coded badly, causing keys to release prematurely. that can also be caused through ur own actions while a send is in progress, too

HalfWolf

Post by HalfWolf » 02 Jan 2023, 21:30

Dijanigo wrote:
17 Aug 2022, 14:26
Sup guys, i hope this is the right place and the right question to ask.

A little background: i'm playing an online rpg where manually executing a skill via hotkeys gives you extra benefits, such as lower skill cooldown and less mana usage. You're basically getting rewarded for not just pressing the hotkey for the skill.

i'm using AHK for some inputs and it works in most situations, although it's pretty wonky as my AHK inputs will sometimes just get eaten by the latency or whatever the reason is. The thing is, manually inputting the directions on the keyboard always works, no issues ever.

Now my question: Is there a difference between software and hardware macros? Would it make a difference if i buy a keyboard with macro keys or would it still be software based? I was thinking that it might make a difference since the inputs are technically coming from the keyboard and are therefore more reliable. But maybe i'm just wrong x)

Thanks and have a nice day!
A series of instructions to be carried out in a certain order is known as a macro in numerous programmes, including Microsoft Excel and not just video games. They are mostly utilised in massively multiplayer online role-playing games like World of Warcraft, where you may create a macro that says something like "perform this talent, then this other skill, then the first one again." You are not "micromanaging," but rather a little more "macromanaging," which is why the word "macro" is employed, I believe. It's also used in games like Starcraft 2 to denote "macromanaging," meaning "strategy" rather than "short and fast actions."

nate1021

Post by nate1021 » 10 Jan 2023, 02:47

It's also used in games like Starcraft 2 to denote "macromanaging," meaning "strategy" rather than "short and fast actions."
In Starcraft:
Micro refers to the control, positioning, and spell/attack usage of individual or groups of units &
Macro refers to producing said units out of hatcheries/factories/gateways etc. This is usually on a massive scale, especially as the game goes longer and you have several expansions with healthy mineral & gas income.

It's actually crazy how high on the ladder you can climb by just being amazing at macro (aka spending ALL of your money) and either not micro'ing your units at all or micro'ing them the bare minimum.
As soon as your units clash with theirs you're suppose to go back home and continue building, which is very unintuitive and requires a lot of discipline and composure imo.

Return to “General Discussion”