Github Account Suspended

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
masato

Github Account Suspended

Post by masato » 22 Aug 2022, 12:24

Hi everyone,
In short, I've had my account suspended due to one of my AHK tools being flagged as a virus.
Extract from my conversation with the GitHub team: "Specifically, the content that was reported included hiding the proxy malware SystemBC in a Path of Exile trading application, which we found to be in violation of our Acceptable Use Policies."

The tool they are referring to is POE Trades Companion.
I had been aware of the virus flagging issue for quite a while (even had an issue thread about it on GitHub #124).
I originally tried to investigate it, in case it was due to an outdated AHK release, or the compiler used, but never managed to figure it out.
Uploading a new version of the executable on virustotal would at first not give any result - But a few days/weeks later, some positive flagging would appear. Here is a post on POE website with a few examples.

I could find around this forum that this issue can sometimes happen, and considering how large the tool is I decided to leave it on the side - I was planning to get rid of the compiled executable sometime in the future to stick to the AHK source only anyway.

At this point, it had been years that the issue thread was open. Everyone was aware of the flagging that I considered as false, me being the sole developer of this tool (obviously using some libraries by the AHK community, but none of them were shady or came from an obscure source).

Well seems that it was bad judgment on my part... Since this is what triggered my account to be flagged.
I tried to argue with the GitHub team, but they are extremely slow to reply anything (expect at least a month for a reply, even if you responded the same minute they answered to you).

I don't want to give up on my account - it's really frustrating to have it wrongfully taken down, demolishing the little bit of reputation I had been building over time. Would anyone here be able to assist, had any similar experience with Github and would know how to get them to actually take time to look into the issue?
Here below are backup links to the latest versions that were uploaded to GitHub:
Link to latest source zip (Waybackmachine)
Link to latest compiled executable (Waybackmachine)
(don't pay attention to the silly versioning name, this was a dirty fix related to updating issues)

Editing to post a virustotal.com link of latest executable: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/1ac51946634beba1c732225c6c4c8be0f130abaa075ad3a1d4e971b92c002d28

swagfag

Re: Github Account Suspended

Post by swagfag » 24 Sep 2022, 07:28

sucks, but not an unlikely outcome. pushing unsigned binaries to repo

Return to “General Discussion”