AHK and Python, what's the difference, noob question

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
moyprofile

AHK and Python, what's the difference, noob question

Post by moyprofile » 04 Dec 2023, 20:02

I heard that Python is also a scripting language. What's the difference with AHK? Can I do the same things I do with Python?

boiler

Re: AHK and Python, what's the difference, noob question

Post by boiler » 04 Dec 2023, 20:09

I would say that they are similar in capabilities in that they both are interpreted languages, therefore they don’t have the speed of languages that are compiled into machine code. Python has the advantage of a larger user base and more libraries available, while AHK has the advantage of being better suited for interacting with and automating the various features of Windows, and it is easier to produce standalone executable scripts for distribution to others.

tank

Post by tank » 05 Dec 2023, 00:37

Python runs in multiple os. Both are easy to compile and distribute
I code heavily in both.

Python has robust package and virtual environment. But long running tasks have a tendency to be resource intensive and fail

Ahk can run for days and remain stable. Windows only

Syntactically, python is not new friendly but easy to learn after the basics as the syntax is clean and strict.

Ahk used to be ultra newb friendly to learn but much of the GUI syntax and documentation has become worse than logarithm by hand. To this day I cannot make full use of gui events in v2.
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter

boiler

Post by boiler » 05 Dec 2023, 05:54

Since Python requires external libraries (as it does for a lot of things) and typically typing some command line stuff to compile a standalone executable, while you can simply right click on an AHK script file and choose ”Compile” with as-installed AHK, advantage AHK in my opinion. I just said it’s easier with AHK, and it is objectively easier.

Return to “General Discussion”