I don't see the point of changing to Version 2.

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Gandolf
Posts: 1
Joined: 04 Dec 2023, 08:07

I don't see the point of changing to Version 2.

Post by Gandolf » 06 Dec 2023, 00:10

Converting to Version 2 is a NO-NO!!
I attempted to convert a couple of my scripts. It didn't work. The AHK scripts in Version 2 were a joke! I wasted time "investigating and manually changing" them to get something that "sort of worked". I might just as well have started from scratch in Version 2.

Why is it not backwards compatible? It's pointless if Version 1 scripts don't run.

It's a different program, not an updated version. It is NOT AutoHotkey. It should be given a different name.

I use AHK to speed up operation, having to manually convert dozens of scripts (some very large) is NOT practical. I can't afford to waste that sort of time.

Are there syntax files for text editors? I haven't seen any for Version 2.

Unless a GUARANTEED converter from Version 1 to Version 2 is available, and syntax files, I see no point in even thinking about using Version 2. I'll stay with Version 1. If it's no longer supported, then I will no longer donate to AHK. You are the looser.

END OF SUBJECT!

User avatar
boiler
Posts: 17222
Joined: 21 Dec 2014, 02:44

Re: I don't see the point of changing to Version 2.

Post by boiler » 06 Dec 2023, 03:15

Relax. No one is forcing you to switch.

In case your questions were not rhetorical, the answers to much of — and maybe everything — that you asked about can be found in this announcement.

Gandolf wrote: Are there syntax files for text editors? I haven't seen any for Version 2.
There are several editors with full support of v2. See Editors with AutoHotkey Support from the v2 documentation.

ccchan234
Posts: 84
Joined: 08 Jun 2023, 00:45

Re: I don't see the point of changing to Version 2.

Post by ccchan234 » 06 Dec 2023, 12:44

Gandolf wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 00:10
Converting to Version 2 is a NO-NO!!
I attempted to convert a couple of my scripts. It didn't work. The AHK scripts in Version 2 were a joke! I wasted time "investigating and manually changing" them to get something that "sort of worked". I might just as well have started from scratch in Version 2.

Why is it not backwards compatible? It's pointless if Version 1 scripts don't run.

It's a different program, not an updated version. It is NOT AutoHotkey. It should be given a different name.

I use AHK to speed up operation, having to manually convert dozens of scripts (some very large) is NOT practical. I can't afford to waste that sort of time.

Are there syntax files for text editors? I haven't seen any for Version 2.

Unless a GUARANTEED converter from Version 1 to Version 2 is available, and syntax files, I see no point in even thinking about using Version 2. I'll stay with Version 1. If it's no longer supported, then I will no longer donate to AHK. You are the looser.

END OF SUBJECT!
[Mod edit: Removed insulting, uncalled-for statement.]

btw, i have the same idea that v1 is enough, v2 is overkill.
you may see my older posts.

ccchan234
Posts: 84
Joined: 08 Jun 2023, 00:45

Re: I don't see the point of changing to Version 2.

Post by ccchan234 » 06 Dec 2023, 13:13

Gandolf wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 00:10
[Mod edit: Shortened redundant quote.]

btw, in contrast to those old school people,
gpt4 rocks.
and it improves over time.
i can see that in every several months when gpt4 display it's database got updated.

RussF
Posts: 1296
Joined: 05 Aug 2021, 06:36

Re: I don't see the point of changing to Version 2.

Post by RussF » 06 Dec 2023, 15:01

ccchan234 wrote: btw, in contrast to those old school people,
gpt4 rocks.
Ah yes, these "old school people" - the ones who have actually taken the time to learn the language and understand the syntax. You know - the ones you come looking for help from when your gpt crap doesn't work - which is 95% of the time.

Russ

ccchan234
Posts: 84
Joined: 08 Jun 2023, 00:45

Re: I don't see the point of changing to Version 2.

Post by ccchan234 » 06 Dec 2023, 19:07

RussF wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 15:01
ccchan234 wrote: btw, in contrast to those old school people,
gpt4 rocks.
Ah yes, these "old school people" - the ones who have actually taken the time to learn the language and understand the syntax. You know - the ones you come looking for help from when your gpt crap doesn't work - which is 95% of the time.

Russ
you know, when new things come out,
it hurt someone's interest, so there is argument.

ccchan234
Posts: 84
Joined: 08 Jun 2023, 00:45

Re: I don't see the point of changing to Version 2.

Post by ccchan234 » 06 Dec 2023, 19:08

ccchan234 wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 13:13
Gandolf wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 00:10
[Mod edit: Shortened redundant quote.]

btw, in contrast to those old school people,
gpt4 rocks.
and it improves over time.
i can see that in every several months when gpt4 display it's database got updated.
this time, i am like the guy on tiktok e.g.
i really want to ask others what do they do for living?

how can every post every words be censored?
already some sort of AI applied?

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”