"Say thanks" feature or something similar

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
john_c

"Say thanks" feature or something similar

Post by john_c » 06 Oct 2020, 15:47

I think that it would be useful to have an option to mark some answer as useful so that the poster (the who posted the answer) will receive a notification but the thread won't be "bumped" (= "upped").

The first reason is that messages like "Thanks!" or "Amazing!!!" don't add anything valuable to other readers.

The second reason is that the answer will bump the thread and sometimes it's not a good idea. For example, few days ago you created a thread, someone answered, you indicated that answer as "correct answer", and closed the browser tab. You also posted "Thanks". Today you visited the forum again and you see that someone posted different solution. You want to show that you are appreciated for help, but you don't want to bump the thread for just that one reason.

gregster

Re: "Say thanks" feature or something similar

Post by gregster » 06 Oct 2020, 16:18

I don't see a problem in bumping a thread for saying thanks. If we should introduce a thank-you-function one day, I hope it will be as low-key as possible; and I hope we will always stay away from something like up-/down votes, rankings or similar awful social media stuff. But that's merely my personal opinion.

swagfag

Post by swagfag » 08 Oct 2020, 17:33

another similar idea: "# found this post helpful"
eventually ud be able to forumsearch for (hopefully) helpful posts

pk23

Post by pk23 » 13 Nov 2020, 16:52

Unlike MyBB, vBulletin or XenForo, the phpBB this forum is using doesnt have this feature itself, I doubt it will be accomplished in foreseeable future. (though it's indeed a good feature. no downvote btn is needed, just upvote/like btn.)

Return to “General Discussion”