WIRED article on AutoHotkey

Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
Forum rules
Discuss Autohotkey related topics here. Not a place to share code.
boiler

WIRED article on AutoHotkey

Post by boiler » 07 Oct 2020, 09:06

Nice to see AutoHotkey get some good press from a relatively major site: WIRED article

SOTE

Re: WIRED article on AutoHotkey

Post by SOTE » 07 Oct 2020, 10:40

That's great to see AutoHotkey getting positive press. But one thing that I have noticed is that usually such articles kind of pigeonhole AutoHotkey to keyboard shortcuts versus touching a bit more on its possible uses for automation, RDA/RPA, small applications, or general purpose programming. I guess that's partially due to AutoHotkey's very name. Putting myself in the position of somebody that has no clue about it, after reading such an article and seeing the name, one might get the impression that its just a keyboard shortcuts or hotkey app.

boiler

Post by boiler » 07 Oct 2020, 10:55

I agree about the name. I think it might gain broader acceptance as a fully capable language that would rival languages like Python if it were named simply AHK. I believe there was a suggestion that v2 might be an opportunity to adopt AHK or something else as its official name, but it didn’t seem to get much support.

swagfag

Post by swagfag » 07 Oct 2020, 12:21

impressions would tank if the author opened up on their unsuspecting victimsreaders with 10 pages of straight up COM spaghetti, so in a sense u cant fault him for only covering the absolute bare minimum

everyone's got their own agenda to push

joedf

Post by joedf » 07 Oct 2020, 19:39

Thanks for sharing this! :thumbup:

I will be adding a link to this article on the homepage. I'm thinking of adding it (with a logo) next to the other quotes (lifehacker, heise online, etc.)

What should I use for the quote? Here's what I have in mind for now: :think:
[AutoHotkey] gives you the power to build your own custom time-saving keyboard shortcuts. [...] Designed to be as accessible as possible, you don’t need to have a background in coding at all in order to know how to use it.
- Eric Ravenscraft, WIRED
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

boiler

Post by boiler » 07 Oct 2020, 20:11

That sounds good. I like that quote, although I think it would also be good to show that they recognize AHK as being a powerful language (not just for creating keyboard shortcuts) while also being easy to learn and use, as this quote does:
...there’s a tool that’s robust enough for power users but accessible enough for everyone: AutoHotkey.
Maybe both quotes can be used. :?:

joedf

Post by joedf » 10 Oct 2020, 20:36

Sounds good! I've added some other ones too! :thumbup:
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]

garry

Post by garry » 11 Oct 2020, 07:15

@joedf thank you for the examples
at beginning for me was important ( after DOS gwbasic ) , how to create easy a GUI with x y w h , then input known variables and get calculated result ( only use notepad and then rename to xy.ahk )
the command line autohotkey help is very good , later I found many good examples in forum ( some which I never understand ) , not so easy like ' if v5 > 10 then goto' ...
and I was able to create everything what I wanted ( with good help in ahk forum )

Return to “General Discussion”