How to distinguish numeric map key vs array index? Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v2 or newer) and its commands and hotkeys
RaptorX

How to distinguish numeric map key vs array index?

Post by RaptorX » 26 Sep 2022, 16:08

Hi. Using [Beta.9].

Im trying to access a map key that happens to be a numeric id. Thing is that if I pass it as a variable AHK thinks im trying to access an array index which is incorrect.

How do I force it behave as a map key.

Code: Select all

id := contacts[1]["id"]
invoices := invoices["list"][id] ; This fails
invoices := invoices["list"]["722399"] ; This works
Projects:
AHK-ToolKit

RaptorX

Re: How to distinguish numeric map key vs array index?  Topic is solved

Post by RaptorX » 26 Sep 2022, 16:15

Well i just forced the variable to behave as a string by appending some quotes like this:

Code: Select all

invoices := invoices["list"][id ""] ; this now works
Projects:
AHK-ToolKit

lexikos

Re: How to distinguish numeric map key vs array index?

Post by lexikos » 26 Sep 2022, 19:30

Thing is that if I pass it as a variable AHK thinks im trying to access an array index which is incorrect.
This is not v1. A Map does not behave as an Array. A Map is a Map. There are only integer, string and object keys, not array indices.

A variable does not behave as a string. A variable contains a string or something else.

Maps are type-sensitive. Apparently your variable contained a number, not a string. You didn't force it to behave as a map key. You converted the numeric key to a string key, so instead of corresponding to nothing, it corresponds to the value previously associated with that string.

RaptorX

Post by RaptorX » 27 Sep 2022, 09:44

When I said "I just made the variable behave as a string" I meant the value that the var contains. I was not specific enough. But yeah we are talking about the same thing.
lexikos wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 19:30
Apparently your variable contained a number, not a string.
Yeah and as I have no control of how that data is coming (comes from an API Call) I didnt see any problems with passing it directly to my map.
But as it turns out I do need to do some conversion prior to passing it to my map object.
lexikos wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 19:30
Thing is that if I pass it as a variable AHK thinks im trying to access an array index which is incorrect.
Maps are type-sensitive. Apparently your variable contained a number, not a string. You didn't force it to behave as a map key. You converted the numeric key to a string key, so instead of corresponding to nothing, it corresponds to the value previously associated with that string.
Yes, this is exactly what happened.

I think the process of converting a numeric value, passed as a variable to a map, to a string is a bit counterintuitive.
this invoices := invoices["list"][id ""] feels really odd to me. Having no built-in way to convert one type to another in the form of id.toString() for example, is a bit weird. I usually dont like the .toString stuff but is a very common way other languages solve the type conversion issues.

As soon as V2 introduced some form of types, we might need a built in way to cast/convert between them without having to resort to some hacky solutions that for me make sense at the moment, but 4 months from now im gonna see those wierd quotes and probably wont remember why I put them there in the first place :D
Projects:
AHK-ToolKit

swagfag

Post by swagfag » 27 Sep 2022, 12:03

the built-in way is to use the respective constructor, eg String(somethingThatIsHopefullyConvertible)

RaptorX

Post by RaptorX » 27 Sep 2022, 13:45

swagfag wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 12:03
the built-in way is to use the respective constructor, eg String(somethingThatIsHopefullyConvertible)
oh, was not aware of that, let me check on that.
Projects:
AHK-ToolKit

Return to “Ask for Help (v2)”