Shouldn't hotkeys not be sent to the active window?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v2 or newer) and its commands and hotkeys
therefore

Shouldn't hotkeys not be sent to the active window?

Post by therefore » 30 Nov 2022, 15:47

Using ahk V2.0-beta 15 with Win 10.

Simple script to move my mouse to the center of my primary screen (from among four screens):

Code: Select all

#SingleInstance Force
!^+c:: ;Alt + Ctrl + Shift c
{

CoordMode "Mouse", "Screen"    ; this is a must as the mouse coordinate are now relative to the whole screen

MouseMove A_ScreenWidth // 2, A_ScreenHeight // 2, 0

return
}
[Mod edit: [code][/code] tags added.]

Works great. But when I am reading a Google Docs document, Alt + Ctrl + Shift c changes it to view only (both FF and Chrome). And then moves the mouse.

I thought the hotkey would be intercepted and not sent on to the active window. When I redefine F1, it gets ignored by the active window.

swagfag

Re: Shouldn't hotkeys not be sent to the active window?

Post by swagfag » 30 Nov 2022, 17:08

check ListKeys if the hotkey is implemented using the keyboard-hook. if its not, then Chrome is likely intercepting it with its own hook before the OS processes the keypress(and invokes ur code). in that case u can try #UseHook

if it is already using it, then Chrome could be overriding ahk's hook with a hook of its own. in that case, u can try suspend/unsuspending ur hotkeys which would put ahk's hook back on top, but its a crapshoot as to how long this would work for. u might have to keep doing it periodically, if Chrome does so too

therefore

Post by therefore » 30 Nov 2022, 17:36

Thanks swagfag. By surrounding the hotkey with #UseHook True and then #UseHook False, it now works properly.

There was no info in ListKeys about this particular hotkey nor did Suspending/Unsuspending do the trick. Too bad there is not an obvious way to analyze which hooks are happening in the system and in what order. What I gather from you response is that ahk may or may not intercept the keystroke before another hook has stepped in first, in this case, I guess both Firefox and Chrome as they both received the Alt + Ctrl + Shift c before ahk and changed to view only as Alt + Ctrl + Shift c is the key to do so.

I wish I had a better understanding of the whens and why but I am sure a lot more studying will make it clear. :) Thanks!

lexikos

Post by lexikos » 30 Nov 2022, 19:45

I doubt that Chrome or Firefox uses any kind of keyboard hook to implement its keyboard shortcuts.

If you hold ^+!c for a moment, you should find that Google Docs switches to view when you release the key. Registered hotkeys (handled by the OS) do not suppress the key-up event.

therefore

Post by therefore » 03 Dec 2022, 15:14

Thank you. After doing a lot of reading of the boards and the documentation, it is slowly making some sense to me. The moral that I'm getting is to use #UseHook and not to rely on registered keys. In another post, you indicated a desire to even make it the default.

I'm surprised that the Window's registered keys don't suppress the key-up event. Is that how AHK is implemented or simply a design flaw in Windows?

Again, thanks for the guidance (and for all of your board posts!).

lexikos

Post by lexikos » 03 Dec 2022, 23:54

There is no way to register a hotkey with different behaviour. The documentation for RegisterHotKey doesn't guarantee any particular behaviour in the first place. It just allows you to register a key combination for the system to notify you when it is pressed.

Return to “Ask for Help (v2)”