RegExReplace turning line feeds into zero-pixel characters in an Edit control Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v2 or newer) and its commands and hotkeys
Baconfry

RegExReplace turning line feeds into zero-pixel characters in an Edit control

Post by Baconfry » 01 Feb 2023, 02:45

The example below demonstrates this behavior. It turns word characters into "C", and shouldn't touch line feeds at all.

Code: Select all

#Requires AutoHotkey v2.0

myGui := Gui()
editControl := myGui.AddEdit("w300 h100 vMyEdit", "a`n`n`n`nb")
myGui.AddButton(, "Format Text").OnEvent("Click", FormatText)
myGui.Show

FormatText(*)
{
    saved := myGui.Submit(0)
    newText := RegExReplace(saved.MyEdit, "\w", "C")
    editControl.Text := newText
}
The expected output should be:

C

C
But the actual output is:

CC
However, if you traverse across the CC with arrow keys, the line feeds are still there, but it's like they have shrunk down to zero pixels. Is this a bug or am I missing something? Thanks!

teadrinker

Re: RegExReplace turning line feeds into zero-pixel characters in an Edit control  Topic is solved

Post by teadrinker » 01 Feb 2023, 04:09

I don't know the reason of such behavior, but for me this works correctly:

#Requires AutoHotkey v2.0

myGui := Gui()
editControl := myGui.AddEdit("w300 h100 vMyEdit", "a`n`n`n`nb")
myGui.AddButton(, "Format Text").OnEvent("Click", FormatText)
myGui.Show

FormatText(*)
{
    editControl.Text := RegExReplace(editControl.Text, "\w", "C")
}

Baconfry

Re: RegExReplace turning line feeds into zero-pixel characters in an Edit control

Post by Baconfry » 01 Feb 2023, 05:15

Thanks, teadrinker. Didn't know that we can directly grab the controls' texts in v2 without needing to submit the Gui. It also looks like myGui.Submit(0) is causing the issue.

swagfag

Re: RegExReplace turning line feeds into zero-pixel characters in an Edit control

Post by swagfag » 01 Feb 2023, 06:07

Edit.Value performs CLRF translations
Edit.Text doesnt perform CLRF translations

Gui.Submit() fetches from GuiControl.Value
then u reassign back to Edit.Text, so u get a mismatch. if u grabbed the .Text and reassigned back to the .Text, u dont get any mismatches. same as if u grabbed .Submit() or .Value and reassigned back to .Value

why this distinctions exists, i cant say. might be a windows thing, might be an ahk "feature". either way, i dont care enough about Edits to research it

Baconfry

Post by Baconfry » 01 Feb 2023, 07:07

Thanks for that, swagfag. It was in the docs this entire time. From: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v2/lib/GuiControl.htm#Text
Edit: As with other controls, the text is retrieved or set as-is; no end-of-line translation is performed. To retrieve or set the text of a multi-line Edit control while also translating between `r`n and `n, use GuiCtrl.Value.
I guess the Text property is used if the author wants to work with the stuff in the Edit as it really is.

Return to “Ask for Help (v2)”