Trying to create a GUI preview which changes based on DDL selection but it doesnt work Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v2 or newer) and its commands and hotkeys
ntvinh

Trying to create a GUI preview which changes based on DDL selection but it doesnt work

Post by ntvinh » 21 Mar 2023, 22:25

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my code? Why doesn't the variable in the template for preview section get updated upon changes in DDL selection? Thanks!

Code: Select all

animals := ["elephant", "horse", "whale"]
favanimal := "elephant"
content :=
(
  "I'd love to have a safari trip.
  My most favorite animal is " favanimal
)

myGui := Gui()
myGui.AddText("w300", "Select animal:")
ddlanimal := myGui.AddDropDownList("w300 Choose1", animals)
myGui.AddText("w300", "Preview:")
preview := myGui.AddEdit("w300 R5", content)

ddlanimal.OnEvent("Change", selection)

selection(*) {
  favanimal := ddlanimal.Text
}

SubmitBtn(*) {
  ExitApp
}

myGui.AddButton("Default wp y+10", "Submit")
  .OnEvent("Click", SubmitBtn)
myGui.Show()  

mikeyww

Re: Trying to create a GUI preview which changes based on DDL selection but it doesnt work

Post by mikeyww » 22 Mar 2023, 05:05

Welcome to this AutoHotkey forum!

Your preview object is called preview. To change the object's text, set preview.Text.

preview.Text := ddlanimal.Text

ntvinh

Re: Trying to create a GUI preview which changes based on DDL selection but it doesnt work

Post by ntvinh » 22 Mar 2023, 06:27

mikeyww wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 05:05
Welcome to this AutoHotkey forum!

Your preview object is called preview. To change the object's text, set preview.Text.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for being a little dim but I still don't get it. Isn't

only changed the text in "preview" to just the animal name selected from the drop down list?

My intention is that I want the preview text to be "I'd love to have a safari trip. My most favorite animal is XXX" where XXX is the animal selected from the drop drop list. That's why I set up the preview text to be the variable "content" and just update the animal name variable "favanimal" when there is a change in DDL but somehow it does not work :| I know the "favanimal" did indeed receive new value when I tried to show it up by

selection(*) {
  MsgBox favanimal
}
but the "content" is still the same.

mikeyww

Re: Trying to create a GUI preview which changes based on DDL selection but it doesnt work  Topic is solved

Post by mikeyww » 22 Mar 2023, 07:13

Sure, you can have any text you like.

Changing favanimal does not change preview.Text, so change the object as I have already indicated.

preview.Text := "I'd love to have a safari trip.`r`nMy favorite animal is " ddlanimal.Text "."

ntvinh

Post by ntvinh » 22 Mar 2023, 07:39

mikeyww wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 07:13
Sure, you can have any text you like.

Changing favanimal does not change preview.Text, so change the object as I have already indicated.

preview.Text := "I'd love to have a safari trip.`r`nMy favorite animal is " ddlanimal.Text "."
This is working, wow. Thank you :D

However If you don't mind can you explain to me why does

selection(*) {
  preview.Text := content
}
also not working? Why content does not change although the variable inside it favanimal changed, which makes changing the preview.Text through content not working? Sorry if I sound stubborn as I really need to understand why it doesn't work as this is only a simplified version of what I'm trying to code, in which the actual text template is fairly large with quite a few variables as favanimal and the template content needs to be reusable so I chose to construct it that way.

neogna2

Post by neogna2 » 22 Mar 2023, 09:16

ntvinh wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 07:39
Why content does not change although the variable inside it favanimal changed
Because when you created the variable content you assigned it the string "I'd love to..." and another string "elephant" (the contents of favanimal at that time). When you later read the content variable it still has exactly the same strings that you put in it.

a := "world"
b := "hello " a
a := "hi"
MsgBox b ;hello world

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww » 22 Mar 2023, 10:01

Yes, when a variable is defined by referring to another variable, it is still determined at that specific moment.

Return to “Ask for Help (v2)”