Very basic question on UI Access

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v2 or newer) and its commands and hotkeys
SpaceMoth

Very basic question on UI Access

Post by SpaceMoth » 25 Mar 2023, 11:16

Hi,

I've tried (a bit) to understand this but could do with a simple answer. I'm installing v2 and it's telling me about UI Access and installing to Program Files. I've never seen this message before and have installed v1 on several PCs, always in a custom directory.

I don't know what is the best choice for my use case: install outside PF and lose functionality, install in PF, or revert to v1 for now.

My script is mostly program launchers and small utilities like changing screen brightness and sound volume. It "interacts" with other applications by launching them, clicking their buttons, sending them keystrokes, etc. I don't think it does anything more advanced than that. I'd like to rewrite it in v2 syntax at some point but it isn't urgent.

I can't tell if my script needs UI Access, and therefore how to proceed? Any help? Apologies if this is very basic and dumb!

mikeyww

Re: Very basic question on UI Access

Post by mikeyww » 25 Mar 2023, 12:23

I recommend using the default installation, which would entail approving the prompt and using Program Files. This does not mean that your scripts will need UI Access. You can (and should) put your own scripts elsewhere, such as in MyDocuments or a separate data drive or partition.

SpaceMoth

Re: Very basic question on UI Access

Post by SpaceMoth » 25 Mar 2023, 13:58

Just what I needed, thanks mikeyww. Really looking forward to learning v2!

Return to “Ask for Help (v2)”