What is the target of this link?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v2 or newer) and its commands and hotkeys
GuyverMack

What is the target of this link?

Post by GuyverMack » 05 Jun 2023, 19:33

I've seen this issue mentioned in passing, but never in this context.

Where does this link go?
image.png
image.png (25.36 KiB) Viewed 274 times
It's greyed out so I can't edit or view it. There are two possible targets containing 64 in that folder-- the regular exe and the UIA one. Can someone point me to where I can learn why the target is un-editable?

:offtopic: I'm sorry to rant here, but there are four executables in that folder, plus the v1 (I was forced to install as well. Don't ask...), plus the one in the UX folder, and the problem with Windows is that when you try to "Open With" or change the default program, it doesn't show you a path, just an icon. So you have to choose whether you want to run .ahk with either "AutoHotKey," "AutoHotKey," "AutoHotKey," "AutoHotKey," or "AutoHotKey Launcher." As a new user I was pulling my hair out for hours last night because someone slipped "#NoTrayIcon" and "exit()" into the default script I was running and didn't bother to warn me about what they did.

It's awesome that this software is so powerful and customizable. It's awesome that it's free and there are people willing to offer their time providing free tech support. But there are several aspects of this project that make it very confusing to the new user who wants to RTFM first and not waste a bunch of peoples' time with stupid questions. (Like the deprecated v1 docs ranking high in Google results so I kept mistakenly following them. Or the third party tutorial that tricked me into adding #NoTrayIcon.)

Ahem, sorry. About that link target . . .

mikeyww

Re: What is the target of this link?

Post by mikeyww » 05 Jun 2023, 20:52

Welcome to this AutoHotkey forum!

Have you clicked on "Open folder location"?

As far as I know, it is an "advertised shortcut" (but I'm not certain). The target is shown and ends in ".exe".

Datapoint

Re: What is the target of this link?

Post by Datapoint » 06 Jun 2023, 14:22

Both of the replies here seem viable. https://superuser.com/questions/456035/target-field-on-windows-shortcut-is-disabled
Create the shortcut again, or launch it and find the target from Task Manager.

Return to “Ask for Help (v2)”