set global variable in a function, when the name of the variable is given as a parameter. Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v2 or newer) and its commands and hotkeys
Spitzi

set global variable in a function, when the name of the variable is given as a parameter.

Post by Spitzi » 07 Jun 2023, 11:35

How can I set a global variable in a function, knowing the name of the variable (which varies). I have this code which does not work.

Code: Select all

global a,b,c,d,e

SetGlobal(varName, varVal) {
	global %varName%
	%varName% := varVal
}
is there any way to accomplish this?

WKen

Re: set global variable in a function, when the name of the variable is given as a parameter.

Post by WKen » 07 Jun 2023, 12:41

Is varName not %varName% in v2.
Last edited by WKen on 07 Jun 2023, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

boiler

Re: set global variable in a function, when the name of the variable is given as a parameter.

Post by boiler » 07 Jun 2023, 12:41

What do you mean try setting a global variable from a function? Are you trying to make it global across functions, which was known as a super-global in v1? There are no super-global variables in v2.

I’m not seeing what you mean when you say your code doesn’t work. What is it supposed to do? The function isn’t even called.

boiler

Post by boiler » 07 Jun 2023, 12:46

WKen wrote: Is varName not %varName% in v2.
It is for double dereferencing, which is what OP was going for. As in the following:

#Requires AutoHotkey v2.0
VarName := "MyVar"
MyVar := "hello"
MsgBox %VarName% ; output is "hello"

WKen

Post by WKen » 07 Jun 2023, 12:55

Well, I'm a rookie and I've learned it. :)

Spitzi

Post by Spitzi » 07 Jun 2023, 13:34

In my app, I have many user settings as global variables
those settings can be changed by checkboxes or edits in a gui, example:

checkBoxObj := MyGui.Add("CheckBox", "vAutoConfirmNoPicsLoaded " . (checked:=AutoConfirmNoPicsLoaded ? "checked" : ""), "Automatisch die Meldung 'Keine neuen Bilder' quittieren.")
		checkBoxObj.OnEvent("Click", SaveCheckboxSetting.Bind(, , sectionName:="Auto Confirm No Pics Loaded Message", IniFilePath, secondaryFunctionName:="DoSomeMoreStuff"))

All checkboxes call the same function when clicked:

; saves the setting of a checkbox/textbox/combobox to a given ini-File
	; - ctrlObj: the control Object whose value needs to be saved
	; - SectionName: the name of the section under which the setting needs to be saved in the ini-file
	; - FilePath: the path to an ini.File
	; - optional SecondaryFunctionName: the name of a function to be called after this one - with the value of the control as a paramenter
	SaveCheckboxSetting(ctrlObj, info, SectionName, FilePath, SecondaryFunctionName:="") {
		global IniFilePath
		OutputDebug("SaveCheckboxSetting(GuiName,CheckboxHWND, SectionName, FilePath, SecondaryFunctionName)`n")
		; MsgBox, CheckboxHWND:%CheckboxHWND%`nIniHeadingName:%SectionName%`nSecondaryFunctionName:%SecondaryFunctionName%`nFilePath:%FilePath%
		FilePath := (FilePath == "") ? IniFilePath: FilePath

controlValue :=  (ctrlObj.Type == "ComboBox") ? ctrlObj.Text : ctrlObj.Value																	; get the value of the checkbox / edit control. if it is a combobox, get it's text
		IniWrite(controlValue, FilePath, SectionName, A_UserName)																						; write the value to the ini file
		if (SecondaryFunctionName != "") {																												; call a secondary function if there is one
			FuncToBeCalled := %SecondaryFunctionName%.Bind(controlValue)
			FuncToBeCalled()
		}
	}
The function stores the changed setting in the ini-File and, if necessary, calls another function to do some more stuff

Withing this function, I would also like to to set the global variable (in the example 'AutoConfirmNoPicsLoaded')
So the name of the global variable would come from ctrlObj.Name, in general

Simplified, this boils down to this code:

global a,b,c,d,e

a := 5
SetGlobal("a", 6)
MsgBox(a)

varName := varVal
}
I would like for the global a to set it to 6. The code prints 5 instead.

ntepa

Re: set global variable in a function, when the name of the variable is given as a parameter.  Topic is solved

Post by ntepa » 07 Jun 2023, 15:12

global a,b,c,d,e

a := 5
SetGlobal("a", 6)
MsgBox(a)

global
    %varName% := varVal
}

Spitzi

Post by Spitzi » 07 Jun 2023, 17:25

Thanks @ntepa , that's what I have been looking for.

I ended up putting all my settings in a global map:

global Settings := Map()

Settings["a"] := 5
SetGlobal("a", 6)
MsgBox(Settings["a"])

global Settings
	Settings[varName] := varVal
}
The code is nicer like that and more readable.

Return to “Ask for Help (v2)”