Setup Notepad++ for AutoHotkey

Scripting and setups with Notepad++ and AutoHotkey.
don_dolarson

Re: Setup Notepad++ for AutoHotkey

Post by don_dolarson » 09 Mar 2021, 10:12

YaY, it worked just like expected this time. I've previously downloaded them from GitHub. It may be that. Someone needs to verify this.

jNizM
GitHub: jNizM

Post by jNizM » 16 Apr 2021, 04:47

Added v2 Commands and Functions to userDefineLang.xml
[AHK] 1.1.33.09 x64 Unicode (2.0-beta.1) | [WIN] 10 Pro (Version 21H1) x64 | [GitHub] Profile
Donations are appreciated if I could help you

Joe Glines
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theAutomatorGuru/
Google: https://plus.google.com/105328929654286634910
GitHub: joetazz

Post by Joe Glines » 21 Apr 2021, 06:42

We had a great AutoHotkey webinar yesterday on how to setup Notepad++ for AutoHotkey.
You can get the files we created for Notepad++ here (not to mention our tool for pulling up help by hitting F1)

Here's the first hour where we walk through how to install and configure Notepad++. There is a second hour but we didn't discuss Notepad++ much in that hour.

Find & Click AutoHotkey syntax writer Automate my Task :clap:
AHK Tutorials:Web Scraping | AHK Studio | Webservice APIs | AHK and Excel | Chrome | RegEx | Functions
Training: AHK Webinars Courses on AutoHotkey :ugeek:
Connect with me on LinkedIn :beer: | YouTube
How-to: Create a shortcut that automatically
logs in to any website

:thumbup: Quick Access Popup, the powerful Windows folders, apps and documents launcher!
Help support the AutoHotkey foundation

Darxide23

Post by Darxide23 » 14 Jun 2021, 09:55

sofista wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 08:56
@don_dolarson , @jNizM

If problems persist, this worked for me for the current portable version (7.9.3) and Windows 7 (it should be the same for Windows 10):

quit Notepad++, copy the userDefineLang_AHK.xml file and paste into the userDefineLangs directory. Restart Notepad++. AutoHotkey should be listed under the Language menu.
I'm having this problem (bad highlights, bad "fold" groupings, etc) and I've already got userDefineLang_AHK.xml in the directory. The above mentioned "trick" of clicking on Languages->AutoHotKey to temporarily fix the problem does not work for me. I have tried on 7.9.5 as well as 8.0. I've made a post on Npp's forums about this, but so far no fix has presented itself.

sofista

Post by sofista » 14 Jun 2021, 11:42

Darxide23 wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 09:55
sofista wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 08:56
@don_dolarson , @jNizM

If problems persist, this worked for me for the current portable version (7.9.3) and Windows 7 (it should be the same for Windows 10):

quit Notepad++, copy the userDefineLang_AHK.xml file and paste into the userDefineLangs directory. Restart Notepad++. AutoHotkey should be listed under the Language menu.
I'm having this problem (bad highlights, bad "fold" groupings, etc) and I've already got userDefineLang_AHK.xml in the directory. The above mentioned "trick" of clicking on Languages->AutoHotKey to temporarily fix the problem does not work for me. I have tried on 7.9.5 as well as 8.0. I've made a post on Npp's forums about this, but so far no fix has presented itself.
In the quoted post I was referring to the installation process, which had recently changed. Regarding the Folding feature, I hardly use it but I have noticed that it has problems. I use the Function List instead and it works fine.

I also noticed that sometimes there are problems with highlighting -nothing surprising, since I use quite a lot of plugins and enhancements-, but anyway they are solved by selecting Normal language and then going back to AutoHotkey -of course, I do it with a script :)

Finally, I would suggest you to install the portable version of Notepad++ 7.9.5 -version 8 is very new and has issues- and see what happens. If it works fine or at least better, then the problem may be due to an interference from a plugin of the installed version.

Darxide23

Post by Darxide23 » 14 Jun 2021, 13:15

sofista wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 11:42
Finally, I would suggest you to install the portable version of Notepad++ 7.9.5
Darxide23 wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 09:55
I have tried on 7.9.5 as well as 8.0.
I also have no plugins. It's a vanilla install of Npp. I've gone back several versions of Npp and this issue persists. The first mention of this issue I see in this post is from over a year ago and the guy from the NPP forums was surprised the issue has gone on so long without coming to his attention or someone here making a lexer plugin instead of a UDL. I did some searching and someone did attempt a lexer plugin in 2013, but abandoned it before completion.

I made a bug report of this on Npp's github at the request of the guy from their forums since he wasn't aware of this problem and searching open issues couldn't dig up anything quite like this.

sofista

Post by sofista » 14 Jun 2021, 14:28

Darxide23 wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 13:15
I also have no plugins. It's a vanilla install of Npp. I've gone back several versions of Npp and this issue persists. The first mention of this issue I see in this post is from over a year ago and the guy from the NPP forums was surprised the issue has gone on so long without coming to his attention or someone here making a lexer plugin instead of a UDL. I did some searching and someone did attempt a lexer plugin in 2013, but abandoned it before completion.

I made a bug report of this on Npp's github at the request of the guy from their forums since he wasn't aware of this problem and searching open issues couldn't dig up anything quite like this.
I see. The purpose of using the portable version is not only to rule out incompatibilities with a plugin but also to rule out a corrupted configuration file.

These are standard procedures. At least for now I can't think of any other idea worth suggesting, sorry :(

Darxide23

Post by Darxide23 » 14 Jun 2021, 16:00

sofista wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 14:28
I see. The purpose of using the portable version is not only to rule out incompatibilities with a plugin but also to rule out a corrupted configuration file.
Yea, I get it. But I already did because I thought I was on 8.0 because doing the update check said there were no updates, so I downloaded the 7.9.5 portable. Turns out I was on 7.9.5 the whole time, so I updated to 8.0 on the off chance it would change anything. So neither worked. I then tried a couple of other portable versions going back and all were still a no go.

EDIT: And I also get that this isn't the problem of this UDL, either. It's a Npp problem. Was just hoping someone had solved it, but it seems like it's actually a problem deeper within Npp than can't be fixed by the end user.

jNizM
GitHub: jNizM

Post by jNizM » 22 Jun 2021, 08:45

Updated for N++ v8.1
Please test and report bugs or submit a change request.
[AHK] 1.1.33.09 x64 Unicode (2.0-beta.1) | [WIN] 10 Pro (Version 21H1) x64 | [GitHub] Profile
Donations are appreciated if I could help you

Return to “Notepad++”