Installing & Configuring VS code

Scripting and setups with Visual Studio Code (vscode) and AutoHotkey.
Joe Glines

Installing & Configuring VS code

Post by Joe Glines » 22 May 2021, 09:52

Just an FYI- we had a great webinar lead by RaptorX / Isaias Baez.
You can get the resources used here
There are more VS Code tutorials on this page.

Hour 1

Hour 2
Sign-up for the 🅰️HK Newsletter

ImageImageImageImage:clap:
AHK Tutorials:Web Scraping | | Webservice APIs | AHK and Excel | Chrome | RegEx | Functions
Training: AHK Webinars Courses on AutoHotkey :ugeek:
YouTube

:thumbup: Quick Access Popup, the powerful Windows folders, apps and documents launcher!

Hellbent

Re: Installing & Configuring VS code

Post by Hellbent » 23 Jun 2021, 05:02

Hey @Joe Glines.

I have just installed this editor like you suggested and I'm not sure that I am going to be able to use it because of the themes that it uses (they are killing my eyes to look at). Do you know if there is a way for me to use the same color palette that Scite4AutoHotkey uses? I still haven't done any of the git stuff, but I'm not sure if there is much point in trying it out because of the theme issue.

HB.

boiler

Post by boiler » 23 Jun 2021, 06:25

A couple options are to customize a theme yourself or select from among the many user-created themes in the Visual Studio Code Marketplace.

Hellbent

Post by Hellbent » 23 Jun 2021, 07:36

boiler wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 06:25
Nope, you're SOL.
That's what I thought. Thank you.

boiler

Post by boiler » 23 Jun 2021, 08:17

Well, your question was “is there a way...” If the ability to edit a theme isn’t helpful, then I suppose the only answer you were looking for was, “Yeah, someone has already made a theme that exactly matches SciTE4AutoHotkey, and it can be found here...” In that case, then yes, you’re SOL.

swagfag

Post by swagfag » 23 Jun 2021, 08:30

https://themes.vscode.one/edit/local/
other than requiring a throwaway registration, pretty good online editor

Hellbent

Post by Hellbent » 23 Jun 2021, 16:33

boiler wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 08:17
Well, your question was “is there a way...” If the ability to edit a theme isn’t helpful, then I suppose the only answer you were looking for was, “Yeah, someone has already made a theme that exactly matches SciTE4AutoHotkey, and it can be found here...” In that case, then yes, you’re SOL.
I apologize if my reply seemed ungrateful or rude, that certainly wasn't my intent. I was talking to Joe the other day and he had recommended that I start using this editor and do the Git stuff that it does (which I haven't started looking at). I did look at the two links you posted and the one for user submitted themes had 5000+ items in it and when I looked at the link about creating my own theme I felt lost by the time I read the first line. I was finally able to find something about font but I couldn't understand what it was showing me. some font , "some other font" , Monospace
I don't know anything about fonts or why it is showing 2-3 of them? And that is the crux of it all. I'm sure that if I invested the time in it I would figure it all out but I just don't think that I have the patience to invest the time in learning how to do something that I just don't really have a interest in and I didn't want you to waste your time. At the end of the day I have pretty much only used Scite to do all of my coding for the last 5+ years and even with it I know little more than how to turn off "Wrap" and do a search and replace and 5 or so hotkeys like ctrl+d and ctrl+q. To me it is just a place I type my code out and I have gotten very used to looking at the code with a specific font, font size, and color palette. I don't have a clue about what it takes to create that color palette and when I start reading that stuff I encounter term after term that I'm sure would be common knowledge for people that have used their computers for more than watching Youtube videos, for me it means that I have to google "what is a token" which then would show "Blah blah blah" so then I have to google "what is blah" which then leads to me having to google "what is this other blah" and so on. Yes I can do that, but I don't really want to and you shouldn't have to hold my hand through it if I'm not willing to invest the time to learn it, and I'm not willing. I don't want to become an expert at any of it and that is on me. If it had been the case where I could just transfer some file or if there was a near one to one relationship between some file in scite and VS Code I would probably be willing to go through it and transfer things over but other than that I just don't think that I would want to invest countless hours trying to learn what it all means. I will likely be meeting up with Joe in the next few weeks so I'll be able to ask him then to take a few mins to show me what I need to look for to tweak a few of the color settings so that it isn't so blinding to look at the light themes or way too colorful with the dark themes.

My reply before is simply that the take away for me is that I can't just transfer how scite looks to this editor. Was also that I didn't want to have to say that I'm not willing to spend hours and hours learning how to make a new one, and that I don't feel that it is right for me to drag you down that rabbit hole with me. I appreciate you taking the time to reply and I did get the info I was looking for. So again, thank you. To me it's just a place to type stuff, I can live without it.

:beer:

Hellbent

Post by Hellbent » 23 Jun 2021, 16:34

swagfag wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 08:30
https://themes.vscode.one/edit/local/
other than requiring a throwaway registration, pretty good online editor
Thank you. Having the themes on the screen like that should be helpful in picking one that I can live with.

boiler

Post by boiler » 23 Jun 2021, 18:22

Hellbent wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 16:33
I apologize if my reply seemed ungrateful or rude, that certainly wasn't my intent.
My reply before is simply that the take away for me is that I can't just transfer how scite looks to this editor. Was also that I didn't want to have to say that I'm not willing to spend hours and hours learning how to make a new one, and that I don't feel that it is right for me to drag you down that rabbit hole with me. I appreciate you taking the time to reply and I did get the info I was looking for. So again, thank you. To me it's just a place to type stuff, I can live without it.
No problem. I just thought that was the kind of info you were looking for. I also find that modifying a theme in VSCode to be more complex than what I would be interested in doing (unlike Notepad++, for example, which is relatively user friendly in that regard), so I really wouldn’t have been able to guide you even if you had asked.

I am lucky that I find one of the dark themes to my liking, so I use it as is. And I really like the editor overall, so I’m glad the color scheme works for me because that can be a dealbreaker for me when they’re too garish or whatever.

Joe Glines

Post by Joe Glines » 26 Jun 2021, 08:16

Hellbent wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 05:02
Hey @Joe Glines.

I have just installed this editor like you suggested and I'm not sure that I am going to be able to use it because of the themes that it uses (they are killing my eyes to look at). Do you know if there is a way for me to use the same color palette that Scite4AutoHotkey uses? I still haven't done any of the git stuff, but I'm not sure if there is much point in trying it out because of the theme issue.

HB.
Sorry, I don't visit the forum often and, for some reason, I didn't get notified of your question. Glad we were able to fix the items on our call yesterday. Sadly we didn't record it as it would have been good for others, but hopefully you can post an example here of what we did.
Sign-up for the 🅰️HK Newsletter

ImageImageImageImage:clap:
AHK Tutorials:Web Scraping | | Webservice APIs | AHK and Excel | Chrome | RegEx | Functions
Training: AHK Webinars Courses on AutoHotkey :ugeek:
YouTube

:thumbup: Quick Access Popup, the powerful Windows folders, apps and documents launcher!

MancioDellaVega

Post by MancioDellaVega » 21 Aug 2021, 10:40

boiler wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 08:17
Hi Boiler,
Can i know where is the theme for VScode that matches Scite4Autohotkey?
Courses on AutoHotkey

boiler

Post by boiler » 22 Aug 2021, 14:07

MancioDellaVega wrote: Hi Boiler,
Can i know where is the theme for VScode that matches Scite4Autohotkey?
I don't know that there already is a theme that matches SciTE4AutoHotkey. It doesn't sound like one has been created that matches it. See the above several posts.

Return to “Visual Studio Code”