MS Visual Studio / AHK Studio - for AHK-script

Editor for AutoHotkey written completely in AutoHotkey.

Moderator: maestrith

Albireo

MS Visual Studio / AHK Studio - for AHK-script

Post by Albireo » 28 Nov 2018, 06:26

Hi!
Has anyone used MS Visual Studio together with AHK,
or is AHK Studio a better choice for AHK?

//Jan

SOTE

Re: MS Visual Studio / AHK Studio - for AHK-script

Post by SOTE » 29 Nov 2018, 16:50

Albireo wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 06:26
Hi!
Has anyone used MS Visual Studio together with AHK,
or is AHK Studio a better choice for AHK?

//Jan
If you are creating code with AHK, then AHK Studio is by far the best.

MS Visual Studio is a monstrosity, that arguably shouldn't be touched unless you are programming in C, C++, or C#, and on Windows. Even if you are using C or C++, one should consider the open source alternatives. However, if you need to compile AHK source code (not your script, but AutoHotkey_L or AutoHotkey_H), then you will likely have no choice but to deal with the monster that is MS Visual Studio.

nnnik

Post by nnnik » 04 Dec 2018, 09:36

Visual Studio is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
Many people are heavily biased and have no practical data on how much of a heavy weight visual studio actually is.
As someone who owns visual studio in several versions I cannot comprehend the rumors.
(Compared to any Netbeans IDE, MS Visual Studio is extremly lightweight)

Regardless AHK Studio is the IDE most advanced users use to develop with AutoHotkey.
Visual Studio Code might be a good alternative if you plan to write in multiple languages.
Recommends AHK Studio

kczx3

Post by kczx3 » 04 Dec 2018, 20:52

If someone ever writes a debugger adapter for VS Code to work with AHK, then I would absolutely use VS Code for writing AHK. But as it stands, I like the look and feel of AutoGUI better than AHKStudio.

AHKStudio has more functionality but it looks horrendous and doesn't act like a typical editor to me.

jeeswg

Post by jeeswg » 04 Dec 2018, 21:51

- @nnnik: Yeah, cheers for sticking up for Visual Studio, it's pretty good really.
- I hear a lot of people praising VS Code, I haven't tried it, is it so great?
homepage | tutorials | wish list | fun threads | donate
WARNING: copy your posts/messages before hitting Submit as you may lose them due to CAPTCHA

kczx3

Post by kczx3 » 04 Dec 2018, 21:55

jeeswg wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 21:51
- @nnnik: Yeah, cheers for sticking up for Visual Studio, it's pretty good really.
- I hear a lot of people praising VS Code, I haven't tried it, is it so great?
It's great for web development and several other languages such as Python.

nnnik

Post by nnnik » 05 Dec 2018, 17:32

VS Code is intuitive and easy to use.
It has significantly less startup time and uses less resources than most other IDEs I have worked with. (Its about 300MB)
It provides a lot of plugins that are easy to find and navigate and often offers one plugin per language that can be seen as standard.
This often includes auto suggestions, code linting and specific features (like new terminal modes).
I have been more effective VSCode in 1 hour than any other IDE I used before that.
Even when I tweaked settings and modified looked for custom extensions and played with their combinations.

If you write several languages and often switch them then VS Code is the best solution.
https://insights.stackoverflow.com/surv ... vironments
Recommends AHK Studio

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » 02 Apr 2019, 00:15

nnnik wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 17:32
VS Code is intuitive and easy to use.
It has significantly less startup time and uses less resources than most other IDEs I have worked with. (Its about 300MB)
It provides a lot of plugins that are easy to find and navigate and often offers one plugin per language that can be seen as standard.
This often includes auto suggestions, code linting and specific features (like new terminal modes).
I have been more effective VSCode in 1 hour than any other IDE I used before that.
Even when I tweaked settings and modified looked for custom extensions and played with their combinations.

If you write several languages and often switch them then VS Code is the best solution.
https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/#technology-most-popular-development-environments
Hmm how well does VS Code work with Autohotkey? Does it have things like calltips with parameters working? And possibly linting, debugging?

Return to “AHK Studio”