Sending text over goto assist/vmware?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Thelgow

Sending text over goto assist/vmware?

Post by Thelgow » 01 Sep 2020, 12:34

We have some randomly generated passwords for some local admin accounts. These are annoying to type out as I'm sure you can guess since they are 25 characters, random #'s, symbols, letters, etc. What I was doing was this quick script to copy/paste into to autohotkey and reload it,

Code: Select all

!F5::
String := "randomlongstring"
Sleep, 200
SendRaw %String%
return
This was working fine. We have a new updated version of goto assist that seems to capture all keyboard commands as I was able to hit windows+e and get explorer on the remote machine vs opening on the local machine. Sadly I also tried alt+f5 and it wasn't sending the password.
I also had a similar issue yesterday where I had to connect to one of our virtual machines and using vmware remote console I saw it wasn't sending the string there as well.
the vmware instance is rare so i figured thats just how it it works. but now with gotoassist behaving the same way I'd like to know a way for at least gotoassist to work if not the vmware to send these strings.

Xtra

Re: Sending text over goto assist/vmware?

Post by Xtra » 01 Sep 2020, 14:04

Try:

Send, {Text}%String%
If that doesnt work try using a different hotkey.

Thelgow

Post by Thelgow » 01 Sep 2020, 15:16

Xtra wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 14:04
Try:

Send, {Text}%String%
If that doesnt work try using a different hotkey.
I realized when using rdp its similar. If I have it in a window then I can send fine but if I fullscreen it doesnt work.
So I tried with your command with Alt+F5 and just the Pause/Break key and it didnt send in RDP full screen. Any other suggestions? It seems these windows just take all the commands so I guess they dont get a chance to go to autohotkey?

Xtra

Post by Xtra » 01 Sep 2020, 17:51

Look for settings like rdp uses:
keyboard.png
keyboard.png (41.13 KiB) Viewed 244 times

lexikos

Post by lexikos » 01 Sep 2020, 22:13

(If it can't be fixed by changing settings)

First, try adding #UseHook before the hotkey or add the $ prefix.

If that doesn't work, try reloading the script after connecting to the remote computer.

If that doesn't work, try Suspend Off/On or Reload whenever the remote client window is activated. You can detect that with a "shell hook" or timer and WinActive.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”