Visual studio Vs Sublime Vs Scite. Fight!

Discuss features, issues, about Editors for AHK
sinbad

Visual studio Vs Sublime Vs Scite. Fight!

Post by sinbad » 21 Dec 2018, 05:39

Good day!

I'm having issues with NPP and I've decided to move. But I can't decide between VS, Sublime and Scite :roll: I know people can be (oddly?) passionate about their technology choices so which is your weapon of choice and what's so great about it?
nnnik

Re: Visual studio Vs Sublime Vs Scite. Fight!

Post by nnnik » 21 Dec 2018, 07:45

If you want to work on AutoHotkey you should probably use AHK Studio.
Visual Studio Code is great and the favourite tool of many programmers that have to work with multiple languages.
(Especially PHP, Python, HTML/CSS/Js)

VS is mostly a C/C++ IDE and works for that.
Recommends AHK Studio
oif2003

Post by oif2003 » 21 Dec 2018, 13:19

Hi, I recommend SciTE if you like tinkering, because:

1) it lets you manipulate text with lua functions (http://lua-users.org/wiki/UsingLuaWithScite)
-Many possibilities here, for example: SciTE already comes with the ability to shift lines up/down, but you can also easily implement shifting left/right through lua.

2) it has an output pane that displays stdout
-Good for logging and can be used as an alternative to MsgBox and the likes.
(I use it as a console output replacement sometimes because Windows console doesn't work properly with Unicode and I can't get Mintty to work reliability.)

3) it can be controlled with SciTE Director (https://www.scintilla.org/SciTEDirector.html)
-Allows you to manipulate text in SciTE and do basic things such as save/load from an external program.
-You can call lua code via "menucommand:11xx", where two-digit xx is the command number specified in SciTEUser.properties
(see SciTE.h and https://www.scintilla.org/CommandValues.html)

Oh, and multiselect can be super handy sometimes!

Other references:
Spoiler
neokix

Post by neokix » 22 Dec 2018, 04:27

Hi. I vote for AHK-studio too, because of its simplicity. Though, it has some errors when it comes to searching and replacing. I was a fun of Scite4AutoHotkey, but recent Windows Update(?) made it full of error messages.
SOTE

Post by SOTE » 22 Dec 2018, 07:09

neokix wrote:
22 Dec 2018, 04:27
Hi. I vote for AHK-studio too, because of its simplicity. Though, it has some errors when it comes to searching and replacing. I was a fun of Scite4AutoHotkey, but recent Windows Update(?) made it full of error messages.
I vote for AHK Studio too. Excellent tool that is very well adapted for AutoHotkey. AHK Studio and AutoGUI together are an AutoHotkey dream team.

As for searching in AHK Studio, Quick Find at the bottom often does the job. Just keep pressing enter in the edit box and it will jump to the next instance of the word that it finds.
anomalocaris

Post by anomalocaris » 22 Dec 2018, 16:16

I use a combination of Notepad++ (easier to use) and vim (better integration with source-checking tools and git). I never was a fan of fancy editors.
The only thing I like about Visual Studio (and IDEs in general) is the integrated debugging tools. I've actually written a Win32 C++ project using VIM but did all the debugging in Visual Studio
I've never used Sublime or Scite
Delta Pythagorean

Post by Delta Pythagorean » 23 Dec 2018, 21:21

Sublime Text is very touchy when it comes to the syntax highlighting and overall work put into just using it. But it is workable and easily manageable if you have used Python before.
I highly recommend looking into it of you're tired of NPP tossing you around with it's horrible custom syntax highlighting.

I have an edit to the original package of AHK that ads more onto the syntax, quick tools, and simple macros to help you if you'd like.

[AHK]......: v2.0.12 | 64-bit
[OS].......: Windows 11 | 23H2 (OS Build: 22621.3296)
[GITHUB]...: github.com/DelPyth
[PAYPAL]...: paypal.me/DelPyth
[DISCORD]..: tophatcat

aeiklmr

Post by aeiklmr » 06 Jan 2019, 06:55

I used scite for years. I read the hype about other editors on the forum. I've decided to try all of them. I almost gave up, then AHK Studio caught me instantly. So much customization options... :s
I like to think extroverts have attention dependency disorder.

my projects: D2 Reconsidered - Diablo 2 Resurrected script | HideMyIcon, customizable desktop icon hider for Windows 10
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » 18 Mar 2019, 21:25

Delta Pythagorean wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 21:21
Sublime Text is very touchy when it comes to the syntax highlighting and overall work put into just using it.
Hey, now I'm curious: what did you mean by this remark, exactly? I've tried to make some improvements to the syntax highlighting myself as well, such as marking the stuff after Msgbox as a string; but I found it quite complicated overall—is that what you meant?
I have an edit to the original package of AHK that ads more onto the syntax, quick tools, and simple macros to help you if you'd like.
Hmm this sounds interesting: what tools and macros have you created? I've made an edit to the package where it can run a script in debugging mode, but that took me a long time and lots of guesswork; I have no idea how Sublime plugins work.
boiler

Post by boiler » 20 Mar 2019, 04:19

I'm a little late to this thread, but here are my thoughts. One of my must-have features is being able to open multiple panes or windows that can simultaneously view different parts of the same file and be in sync (changes in one are reflected in the other so you don't end up with two versions of the same file). This got me looking for alternatives to SciTE4AutoHotkey, and I used Sublime Text for a while, then Notepad++, then finally landing on Visual Studio Code as my favorite.

Regarding multiple panes of the same file in AHK Studio, it is sort of possible to do this, but Maestrith pointed out that it is not necessarily fully working. In trying it out, I quickly found major problems with implementing this. It seemed that sometimes the second view would get confused and tried to create a new file as the one that was already open, and in doing so deleted all of the original code from the file, so it cannot be trusted in this respect -- at least not at that time, and I haven't seen that it has since been added as a supported feature.
rediffusion

Post by rediffusion » 19 Dec 2019, 22:53

@boiler
I'm a little late to this thread, but here are my thoughts. One of my must-have features is being able to open multiple panes or windows that can simultaneously view different parts of the same file and be in sync (changes in one are reflected in the other so you don't end up with two versions of the same file).
If you're using «VSCode» you can run Code.exe files as many as you want (the main thing is to pull the computer hardware).
For «VSCode» I've only counted nine plug-ins in there so far.
boiler

Post by boiler » 19 Dec 2019, 23:00

rediffusion wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 22:53
@boiler
I'm a little late to this thread, but here are my thoughts. One of my must-have features is being able to open multiple panes or windows that can simultaneously view different parts of the same file and be in sync (changes in one are reflected in the other so you don't end up with two versions of the same file).
If you're using «VSCode» you can run Code.exe files as many as you want (the main thing is to pull the computer hardware).
For «VSCode» I've only counted nine plug-ins in there so far.
I don't see what this has to do with what I posted.
rediffusion

Post by rediffusion » 20 Dec 2019, 01:12

@boiler

You can work with 1 .ahk file and open 3 windows at the same time.

@oif2003

0Key I surf this:
website
How can I use this for example "Text retrieval and modification > GetText()" Where do I put this?
manual
boiler

Post by boiler » 20 Dec 2019, 09:07

rediffusion wrote:
20 Dec 2019, 01:12
@boiler

You can work with 1 .ahk file and open 3 windows at the same time.
OK. Thanks. I mainly use multiple panes of the same file in the same client.
guest3456

Post by guest3456 » 20 Dec 2019, 20:12

boiler wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 04:19
One of my must-have features is being able to open multiple panes or windows that can simultaneously view different parts of the same file and be in sync (changes in one are reflected in the other so you don't end up with two versions of the same file).
you could always try Vim :HeHe:

i wasn't sure if Vim could do this, but i just tested and it does. however you'd be in for a steep learning curve =)

i do like VScode when i tried it, seems very polished

boiler

Post by boiler » 20 Dec 2019, 23:15

guest3456 wrote:
20 Dec 2019, 20:12
you could always try Vim :HeHe:

i wasn't sure if Vim could do this, but i just tested and it does. however you'd be in for a steep learning curve =)

i do like VScode when i tried it, seems very polished
Actually, I wonder if Vim would be that hard for me to pick up because I used vi in college for 4 years (forever ago) on the school's mainframe. I've seen you extol the virtues of Vim before, and it's tempting since I like not having to move my hands from the keyboard (but not to the point of having to remember too many key combos). I'll probably stick with VSC for now. :)
toralf

Post by toralf » 21 Dec 2019, 02:15

Hi boiler,

Have you found a way to use a debugger in VSC?
ciao
toralf
boiler

Post by boiler » 21 Dec 2019, 09:10

toralf wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 02:15
Hi boiler,

Unfortunately, no, although there is one AHK extension that says a debugger is in its future plans. In the meantime, you can always use one of the other editors that have an AHK debugger when desired while using VSC as your main editor.
kczx3

Post by kczx3 » 21 Dec 2019, 10:44

boiler wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 09:10
toralf wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 02:15
Hi boiler,

Unfortunately, no, although there is one AHK extension that says a debugger is in its future plans. In the meantime, you can always use one of the other editors that have an AHK debugger when desired while using VSC as your main editor.
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=65503&p=297603#p290914
boiler

Post by boiler » 21 Dec 2019, 10:53

Ah, I forgot about that because I was waiting for it to hit the extension marketplace. I guess it's not getting published as soon as I had hoped. Thanks for the info on how to implement it now and for the reminder.

Return to “Editors”