AHK hot keys conflict with Windows 10 default shortcuts

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
AHKxx

AHK hot keys conflict with Windows 10 default shortcuts

Post by AHKxx » 02 Apr 2021, 14:23

Hi. I've been using AHK mostly under Windows 8.1 Pro and have a large number of scripts and AHK hot keys that I depend on.

I have recently and reluctantly had to start using Windows 10 Pro as my main device. Most AHK scripts work as expected but I've come up against a couple of very annoying conflicts with key combinations that W10 has assigned to its own functions, and AHK seems unable to either override or intercept.

I have a large number of hot keys defined using a combination of Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Win keys, along with a a regular character key to trigger various actions. Most typical will be actions like these below, which I run to open Windows Explorer, and from inside standard dialog boxes to navigate drives and folders. Very simple, but extremely useful for me.

Code: Select all

#^+g::Run D:\Google Drive ; run from anywhere, opens Explorer to specified folder
#^+!g::Send !d^aD:\Google Drive {Enter} ; run from inside application dialog to change folder
#^+p::Run D:\Program Files ; run from anywhere, opens Explorer to specified folder
#^+!p::Send !d^aD:\Program Files {Enter} ; run from inside application dialog to change folder
The problem is, I find that on Windows 10 (and on two different devices), simple pressing down the Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Winkey combination, even without another key, always launches an "Office on the Web" window for signing into or creating an Office Web account. This happens even when there IS a secondary key added to other keys. If the Office Web window is already open, it comes to the front. So I am always swatting this window away. :x :headwall:

Any other AHK users dealing with this? Is there some way to prevent it?

I've tried using Process Explorer/Process Hacker to find the file or files that are behind this, the exe or dll that is being run with that key combo, but haven't been able to.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Last edited by AHKxx on 02 Apr 2021, 21:22, edited 4 times in total.
mikeyww

Re: AHK hot keys conflict with Windows 10 default shortcuts

Post by mikeyww » 02 Apr 2021, 14:42

When I tested the following, it did not bring up the Office window.

#^!+f::MsgBox 1
AHKxx

Post by AHKxx » 02 Apr 2021, 14:56

Thanks for checking.

All I need to do is press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Winkey, without any other keys, and as soon as I lift those keys, that Office window either opens or is brought to the front if it is already opened. It doesn't seem to matter what order the keys are pressed or released.

When there IS another key added to the 4 modifiers, then the intended AHK script is run as expected, but the Office window still also opens. So it's not preventing the AHK script from running, it's just also triggering the Office windows in parallel.

It appears to be associated with C:\Windows\System32\WWAHost.exe, based on activity in Process Hacker. But I am unable to do anything with that file: when I try to change its name or delete it, I'm told I need admin permission (even though I am logged in as the sole Admin), then when I click Continue, it says I need permission from TrustedInstaller. When I click Try Again, it just takes me in circles.

If I try to run WWAHost.exe directly by double clicking, I can see in Process Hacker that two instances of it start up and then immediately shut down, without any windows opening or any other obvious results.

This is happening on two different devices, one running W10 Pro, the other running W10 Enterprise, both fully up to date and both running 20H2.
Last edited by AHKxx on 02 Apr 2021, 15:21, edited 3 times in total.
mikeyww

Post by mikeyww » 02 Apr 2021, 15:17

OK. I do not have an answer to the four modifiers alone. Perhaps others here will know.
iPhilip

Post by iPhilip » 03 Apr 2021, 00:26

@AHKxx,

The following should work. See this post for more information.

#^!Shift::
#^+Alt::
#!+Ctrl::
^!+LWin::
^!+RWin::
Send {Blind}{vk07}
return
#^+g::Run D:\Google Drive ; run from anywhere, opens Explorer to specified folder
#^+!g::Send !d^aD:\Google Drive {Enter} ; run from inside application dialog to change folder
#^+p::Run D:\Program Files ; run from anywhere, opens Explorer to specified folder
#^+!p::Send !d^aD:\Program Files {Enter} ; run from inside application dialog to change folder
Cheers!
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) - AutoHotkey v2.0+ (Unicode 64-bit)
AHKxx

Post by AHKxx » 16 Apr 2021, 21:08

iPhilip wrote:
03 Apr 2021, 00:26
@AHKxx,

The following should work. See this post for more information.

#^!Shift::
#^+Alt::
#!+Ctrl::
^!+LWin::
^!+RWin::
Send {Blind}{vk07}
return

Cheers!
Thank you! That bit of code seems to have worked. I didn't think I'd be the only one dealing with this, and was glad to see the confirmation.

Most helpful. That was a major annoyance.

:dance: :bravo: :salute:
iPhilip

Post by iPhilip » 16 Apr 2021, 22:58

You are welcome. Happy to help. :)
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) - AutoHotkey v2.0+ (Unicode 64-bit)

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”