Struggling with VA AHK - creating a script to swap between two default audio devices when the .ahk or .exe is run

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
WarMom

Struggling with VA AHK - creating a script to swap between two default audio devices when the .ahk or .exe is run

Post by WarMom » 25 Jul 2021, 13:15

This is a script I've been struggling to wrap my head around and though there's got to be at least two ways to achieve what I want, I haven't been successful with either. I am not using AHK 2.0 beta, I am using the current stable release with VA 2.3 in my Lib folder.

Basically, I want to create a script that changes Windows (10) default playback device when I run the .ahk or compiled .exe. If it's my headphones (device 1 in soundcard analysis), it switches to my external speakers (device 6) and vice versa. I don't want it to trigger on a hotkey press - the exact 'problem' I have is that my current solution requires a hotkey press and I'd rather save as many physical keyboard and mouse inputs as I can for standardisation, instead I'd trigger the .ahk or .exe directly through a macro pad. I want the script to run it.

So far I've managed to grok this much:

Code: Select all

VA_SetDefaultEndpoint("playback:" (Toggle ? 1 : 6), 0)
This will flip my device from 1 (headphones) to 6 (speakers)

VA_SetDefaultEndpoint("playback:" (Toggle ? 6 : 1), 0)
This does the opposite. So if I put these in a script with 'sleep 2000' between them it'd switch to speakers, wait 2 seconds, then back again. However, that's the relatively easy part; I have two .lnk files generated by SoundVolumeView for switching to a given device. It's getting it to automatically go between the two commands, or check what the current Default Playback Device is, that's causing me trouble.

I originally tried to bash something together to get the current default playback device name, store that as a variable and then use that variable to create an If statement ['if the current default device is headphones, then do this to switch it to speakers and vice versa'], but no luck. Best I could do was pilfer this to retrieve the device name:

msgbox % va_getdevicename(va_getdevice("playback:1"))
But I couldn't really make anything of it. If I tried

default := VA_GetDevice("playback:1")
MsgBox, %default%
to get a variable for the current default playback device, the msgbox would spit out a variety of different numbers, nothing consistent.

I did find this script to have a key toggle between two devices:

*ScrollLock::
Toggle := !Toggle
VA_SetDefaultEndpoint("playback:" (Toggle ? 1:6), 1)
VA_SetDefaultEndpoint("playback:" (Toggle ? 1:6), 2)
KeyWait ScrollLock
return
But removing the scroll lock parts stops the script from doing anything at all.

I must be overlooking something obvious on both paths; could I get a hand?
jemmm

Re: Struggling with VA AHK - creating a script to swap between two default audio devices when the .ahk or .exe is run

Post by jemmm » 24 Aug 2021, 15:17

I can't offer help but I can offer a solution. I struggled with this for ages, and then found this open-source app. https://github.com/Belphemur/SoundSwitch

It lets you map hotkeys and apps to multiple audio outputs and inputs. It's fantastic.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”