Why do my Autohotkey Hotkeys not work with the Windows Hotkeys?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
BeyondDNA2021

Why do my Autohotkey Hotkeys not work with the Windows Hotkeys?

Post by BeyondDNA2021 » 30 Jul 2021, 08:34

If I create a shortcut using a single line, then the shortcut works. For example:

Code: Select all

d::right
Using this single line remap will cause the Windows hotkey Win+D to activate the same hotkey as Win+Right, which moves windows to the right, causing snapping behavior.

However, I want to make a shortcut that starts out deactivated, so I have to use a Hotkey command, which requires me to make the shortcut with multiple lines:

d::
SendInput {Right}
return
When I use the Windows shortcut with this version, Win+D will still behave the same as Win+D, which views the desktop.

When I view the hotkeys using ListHotkeys, the multiple line version uses "reg", and the single line version uses "k-hook". I think this is the problem (but I don't know), so I tried using #UseHook, but that didn't seem to fix it.

So basically, I want a way to either fix multiple line hotkeys to trigger Windows hotkeys correctly, or I want to make a single line hotkey that will start disabled and can be toggled with another hotkey (which will then work correctly with Windows hotkeys).
gregster

Re: Why do my Autohotkey Hotkeys not work with the Windows Hotkeys?

Post by gregster » 30 Jul 2021, 08:45

I want to make a shortcut that starts out deactivated, so I have to use a Hotkey command, which requires me to make the shortcut with multiple lines:
Why? How do you do it?
For example, directives also affect remappings.
BeyondDNA2021

Post by BeyondDNA2021 » 30 Jul 2021, 09:10

Why?
I want to be able to change my wasd keys to arrow keys with the use of a hotkey, all within one script. If I can't find a way to do this, I will have to use multiple scripts and simply suspend the script that maps the wasd keys.
How do you do it?
I am using the Hotkey command which "creates, modifies, enables, or disables a hotkey while the script is running". However, it doesn't seem to work if the hotkey is created using a single line such as w::up.

Edit:

Here is the full code:

Hotkey, w, off
Hotkey, s, off
Hotkey, a, off
Hotkey, d, off

w::
SendInput {Up}
return

s::
SendInput {Down}
return

a::
SendInput {Left}
return

SendInput {Right}
return

#w::
Hotkey, w, toggle
Hotkey, s, toggle
Hotkey, a, toggle
Hotkey, d, toggle
return
lexikos

Post by lexikos » 01 Aug 2021, 04:17

However, I want to make a shortcut that starts out deactivated, so I have to use a Hotkey command,
There are other ways, but I would recommend the Hotkey command in this case.
which requires me to make the shortcut with multiple lines:
That's simply not true.

w::up is not a hotkey. If you use ListHotkeys, you will see two hotkeys: *w and *w up. See Remapping Keys; in particular, the actual translation.

To disable or enable a remapping with the Hotkey command, you must call it once for each of the two constituent hotkeys (again, for w::up that's *w and *w up).

These two codes are exactly equivalent (aside from line numbering):

SendInput {Right}
return

d::SendInput {Right}
What sets it apart from d::Right is the command SendInput, instead of merely a key name.

This does not allow Win+D to act like Win+Right for two reasons:
  • d:: does not include the wildcard modifier (*), so it will activate only if you are not holding any modifier keys, such as LWin/RWin.
  • SendInput {Right} is an instruction to send an unmodified Right keypress; if any modifier keys were held down, it would automatically release them for the duration of the send. The solution is to use {Blind} as shown in the remapping documentation linked above.
Another difference from the remapping is that SendInput {Right} will press and immediately release Right, without waiting for d to be released.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”