Code Editor and How to stop adding parentheses, inverted commas etc in AHK Studio

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
bazkeys

Code Editor and How to stop adding parentheses, inverted commas etc in AHK Studio

Post by bazkeys » 05 Aug 2021, 03:34

I have kind of a two part question here.
1. Best Code Editor for newbie to intermediate Coder
I'm currently using AHK Studio, it's the only one I've really tried so far. I probably have only scratched the surface of what it can do, but so far not absolutely in love with it, unlike the reviews I read before about it, but maybe that's because I haven't gone far enough in customising it to my likings. As an example, when I try to select some text I'm often having difficulty, it seems to be very sensitive and tricky to select text. I recently downloaded VS Code, but haven't tested it yet, anyone got any opinions on it? Or any recommendations on a code editor/tester for I guess an intermediate level coder, who doesn't want an overly complicated enviironment.

2. How to stop adding parentheses, inverted commas etc in AHK Studio or other code editor
Anyway that brings me to my second and main questions. Today for the first time, I started looking at the different themes on it, as never really liked the default one. I tried a couple of others, that although I would want to make changes, they are an improvement for me. However I had difficulties seeing the cursor on one, and on the other theme, my prefered choice if I try to just add one parentheses, one inverted commas etc it not only automatically adds another one (same as with default), when I want to delete it, it gets screwed up. Earlier today I had to copy text out to notepad, just to edit the text.

Anyway the simple solution for me would be to just stop the auto adding of parentheses, inverted commas, i..e when I type (, I would like to get ( and not (), type {, I would like to get {, and not {}
boiler

Re: Code Editor and How to stop adding parentheses, inverted commas etc in AHK Studio

Post by boiler » 05 Aug 2021, 05:58

bazkeys wrote: I recently downloaded VS Code, but haven't tested it yet, anyone got any opinions on it?
It's what I use, and I've tried all the AHK-specific editors and most of the more general ones with AHK extensions. I really like it. I use it with the "AutoHotkey Plus Plus" extension.

bazkeys wrote: 2. How to stop adding parentheses, inverted commas etc in AHK Studio or other code editor
In VS Code, you can change the settings for this behavior. I don't know if that's the case with AHK Studio, but since it's written in AHK, you could probably disable that directly in the code if there isn't a setting for it.
bazkeys

Re: Code Editor and How to stop adding parentheses, inverted commas etc in AHK Studio

Post by bazkeys » 05 Aug 2021, 06:12

@boiler Thanks, I'll see if I can get VS code to work then, I tried it again shortly after my post and couldn't get it to run the code.
What about Scite, seen that mentioned a lot too?

And yeah, sure there must be someway of changing behaviour for auto adding apostrophes, parentheses and the likes in AHK STUDIO, but didn't figure it out yet.
boiler

Post by boiler » 05 Aug 2021, 06:26

bazkeys wrote: What about Scite, seen that mentioned a lot too?
That’s what I used for a long time. It’s fine. I moved on from it mainly because I like having two or more synced editing panes for the same file. Since I switched, I also have come to appreciate the other features that more advanced editors like VS Code have to offer.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”