Running AHK manipulating GUI of application on disconnected server (RDP)

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
downstairs

Running AHK manipulating GUI of application on disconnected server (RDP)

Post by downstairs » 12 Sep 2021, 12:14

So I have a cloud Windows 2012 R2 server that I connect to via RDP, and disconnect from, of course, after I am done. My AHK script runs as a scheduled task in the middle of the night and it is not able to automate clicks in the GUI.

On this server I am trying to send keys to a Chrome window (which another VB application opens first) to download a file. This is the code, and it works when logged into the machine:

Code: Select all

SetTitleMatchMode, 2
WinWait, Ads Manager - Reporting, ,120
if ErrorLevel
{
 MsgBox, WinWait timed out.
 return
}
else
{
	Sleep 10000
	WinActivate, Ads Manager - Reporting
	;WinMaximize
	Sleep 2000
	SendInput, {tab 20}
	SendInput, {enter}
	Sleep 1000
	SendInput, {enter}
}

It runs fine on my local Windows 10 PC, as well it also runs fine on the server when I am logged in and looking at the Windows GUI. It does not work when run from Task Scheduler when I am disconnected.

If I disconnect from the server using this in a BAT file, it seems to keep the console open. But not when I disconnect normally (always using this BAT file to disconnect is not a viable option).

Code: Select all

for /f "skip=1 tokens=3" %%s in ('query user %USERNAME%') do (tscon.exe %%s /dest:console)
This has to be a common problem for AHK automation on a cloud or other similar remote-only server or PC. I can't find any viable solution.

Is there some way to force the console/GUI back on in some way? I have completely control of the server to do as I wish.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”