Send command and special characters

Share your ideas as to how the documentation can be improved.
joefiesta

Send command and special characters

Post by joefiesta » 17 Jul 2020, 12:46

The SEND command, at https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/commands/Send.htm, states
By default (that is, if neither SendRaw nor the Raw mode or Text mode is used), the characters ^+!#{} have a special meaning. The characters ^+!# represent the modifier keys Ctrl, Shift, Alt and Win.
This is not entirely correct.

It should say something like:
By default (that is, if neither SendRaw nor the Raw mode or Text mode is used), the characters ^+!#{} have a special meaning, and the grave accent or backtick may have a special meaning, specifically that of an escape character. The characters ^+!# represent the modifier keys Ctrl, Shift, Alt and Win.
I can hear now the argument that the use of an escape sequence in a SEND command is no different than using an escape sequence in any other command. And, this is true. HOWEVER, my point is that here, most SPECIAL CHARACTERS have been given attention while the ESCAPE CHARACTER has been overlooked. And, yes it is mentioned later on a SENDRAW (et. al.) but, should I have to READ ALL of a help file to make it useful? That would be rather absurd when one considers, for example, something like the GUI command.
swagfag

Re: Send command and special characters

Post by swagfag » 17 Jul 2020, 20:38

then it also better mention escape chars(but not backtick specifically, since that could be changed), comment chars(but not semicolon specifically, since that could be changed) but only in specific cases, double quote chars(but only inside double quoted expressions), percent chars(but only outside of quoted expressions), comma(but only in a select few cases)

the point being, +!^{} specifically pertain to Send, whereas the latter apply universally(in ahk)

Return to “Suggestions on documentation improvements”