Remove windows start button

Get help with using AutoHotkey and its commands and hotkeys
Lampshade

Remove windows start button

23 Apr 2016, 11:04

There's a program called Start Killer which removes the start orb, allowing for more more taskbar space.

But it only works as long as it's running. If possible I'd rather do it in AHK. Hiding the Windows clock is easy enough, you just hide TrayClockWClass1, but the start orb seems resistant to the usual hiding methods. Help please!
SpecialGuest

Re: Remove windows start button

23 Apr 2016, 12:01

Seems pretty easy, even on Windows 10. (been doing it for years on W7)

hide it:

Code: Select all

Control, Hide, , Start1, ahk_class Shell_TrayWnd
show it:

Control, Show, , Start1, ahk_class Shell_TrayWnd
Note that the other controls will not shift left just by doing that,
so no space is actually gained (on W10).

The actual taskbar control MSTaskListWClass1 doesn't allow moving/resizing sadly.
Hiding or showing it does work on the other hand but it won't budge from it's original place.

There is also TrayButton1 for the Task View on W10 - if it's enabled,
and that one doesn't seem to hide by script but you can do that via a rightclick on the taskbar.
If you disable it, you can enable it by script but it behaves weirdly so not I wouldn't recommend it.

And then last but not least, if you are on Windows 7, this will do the trick for the startbutton:

WinShow, ahk_class Button

WinHide, ahk_class Button
Lampshade

23 Apr 2016, 12:32

I've tried that already, but it doesn't work for me. All that happens is the orb shrinks slightly and ahk_class Button is replaced by a nameless Shell_TrayWnd class.
SpecialGuest

23 Apr 2016, 12:39

What windows version are you on? Windows 7 I guess?
I used that exact code on W7 for years so it should work for you as well.

..Maybe Start Killer made some modifications to the start button?
Some apps have been known to do shifty things to replace or hide the start button.
If it's the case, try getting rid of it by uninstalling and then hope it restores the original.
Lampshade

23 Apr 2016, 13:08

Yes Windows 7 (Ultimate 64 bit). I've tried closing any programs that could be interfering including Start Killer. I've tried several times over the years and I've never been able to get rid of this thing, it just shrinks every time lol. In any case if I can't gain any new space then I'd rather use Start Killer anyway. Shame.

Thanks anyway though
SpecialGuest

23 Apr 2016, 13:34

If I remember correctly on W7 you do gain some space by removing the start button
but on W10 I haven't been able to do so. A good place to start looking is askVG (if it still exists).

I must admit my W7 was so heavily modified it could have been by using custom themes, I'm not sure..
(UXTheme Patch is required for that - themes you can find everywhere - i have like 10 gigs of them lol)

Anyway, you're most welcome for the info. I hope it will prove useful in your modding quest.

Return to “Ask For Help”