Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Hotkeys Behind Windows Lock Screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
Preactive
  • Members
  • 30 posts
  • Last active: Dec 29 2015 09:18 PM

Interesting Side note:

I have a Saitek Keyboard with Command Pad ( http://i.imgur.com/Qmz0daD.jpg) and the command pad sends Joy1 -> Joy11.  

I have some things assigned to them like:

joy9::
run, clock.ahk
return

I had just gotten over a cold so I locked my computer so I could clean with a clorox wipe without sending keypresses.  Started cleaning my Command pad and notice my cursor on the screen kept showing the hour glass.  First though, "weird, one of my batches may be running."  Then it kept doing it so I unlocked my computer and lo and behold 12 iterations of my Time Zones Clock were running.

Tested it again with assigning another application to a joy# and it worked while locked.

Just thought I would share as I have had some projects that I needed to activate a process but I didn't want the user to have access to a restricted box.

Ver: Win7 Ent. Sp1

Masonjar13
  • Members
  • 1517 posts
  • Last active:

This is very interesting.. Nice find, I'll definitely check this out.

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 8.1 Pro | Editor: Notepad++

Ruevil2
  • Members
  • 226 posts
  • Last active: Dec 04 2015 11:05 PM

AHK scripts have the ability to run during the lock screen and even during the logon screen as well. There is one major caveat here though, you cannot have any sort of GUI or msgbox's in your script as they will cause the script to hang at the point of attempting to draw the element. I have some simple backup consolidation scripts on my servers that run during the "logged off" state.

If you have any questions about running scripts during "locked" or "logged off" state let me know.

If I helped you out and you would like to show appreciation, feel free to buy me a beer.  grin.png   btn_donateCC_LG.gif

Masonjar13
  • Members
  • 1517 posts
  • Last active:

Well, of course they can run behind lock screens, and during the logon if started through the registry. The emphasis was on the hotkey. The locked screen seems to take precedence of the key hooks, or at least that would make sense considering common keyboard keys used as hotkeys won't work. Being able to trigger a script without unlocking/logging in can have it's benefits, although I have no need [at the moment].

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 8.1 Pro | Editor: Notepad++

Ruevil2
  • Members
  • 226 posts
  • Last active: Dec 04 2015 11:05 PM

Scripts can be started during logon/lock in a number of ways, not just via registry.

1) Hotkeys

2) Timers

3) Task Scheduler

4) Group Policy

5) Registry

6) Other scripts

If I helped you out and you would like to show appreciation, feel free to buy me a beer.  grin.png   btn_donateCC_LG.gif

Preactive
  • Members
  • 30 posts
  • Last active: Dec 29 2015 09:18 PM

All those are very true and also I am aware of the different quite a few avenues for running scripts behind the scenes.  As I mentioned I have Batching Scripting set to run on my Boxen at all different times.  

The use case I was thinking about here was having a regular user going to a locked terminal and being able hit the keypad and activate a process.

For instance I have a Tag printer(Zebra GX420d) that does time-stamped and barcoded peel and stick thermal labels that I wrote with SGDIPrint Lib.  And for the different items processed for inventory can be selected via the command pad without ever having to worry about them accidentally closing something or what have you.

The users don't need to see the computer/screen/keyboard/mouse.  Just the tag printer and the command pad.  

Food for thought and fyi.

Regards,  Pre!