AHK_L (AKA 1.1)
79%
AHK Version 2
21%

Total votes: 33
tank

Directional question

30 Sep 2013, 08:43

We as a community are drawn closer by this unfolding exercise. But even if we some how get some version of the old forum content up it will never be the same. the damage is permanent. Links will be broken forever and so will some content.

As we regroup the question is Does Lexikos want to just shift into V2 or do we continue with the current version until a later date.
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
DataLife

Re: Directional question

30 Sep 2013, 09:03

If we move to AHL_L then this forum will never replace the AutoHotkey.com forum and I am certain a very small percentage of users are ready to move to AHK Version 2.
Check out my scripts. (MyIpChanger) (ClipBoard Manager) (SavePictureAs)
All my scripts are tested on Windows 10, AutoHotkey 32 bit Ansi unless otherwise stated.
Pulover

30 Sep 2013, 09:12

I think we should prioritize version 1.1.
Version 2 is in alpha stage so I believe v1.1 should remain as the official version for now as many scripts won't work in v2 and that could cause confusion for new users. It will make the migration from the old forum easier for most users especially newcomers.
A separate forum for version 2 would be a good idea IMO.

Btw, it feels so good to have the old phpBB back! So much easier to navigate (with the subsilver2 theme). :mrgreen:
Rodolfo U. Batista
Pulover's Macro Creator - Automation Tool (Recorder & Script Writer)
Zelio

30 Sep 2013, 10:13

Maybe too many change to digest with a new forum and can be "dangerous", but it is time to break compatibility, now or never...
Gogogo to V2 in one or two month, it is the time to select a good new domain and have a foundation. Everybody can improve it with his script and track all bug, what was hard to change and other feeling to improve, rewrite the most important libs and old bad or unused will disapear (gdi and winsock inside V2 will be cool too, drawing system and network socket)... Just remember how was ahk before 1.0.48, it was like an open beta by Chris.

however we have time, now we are free :)
Alibaba

30 Sep 2013, 13:32

I agree with Pulover.
"Nothing is quieter than a loaded gun." - Heinrich Heine
Relayer

30 Sep 2013, 15:29

Can someone outline the basic differences between the two? I used to use AHKbasic but now use _L. Wow, how did I ever live without objects? Given that, I'm siding with _L right now.
fincs

30 Sep 2013, 16:31

I think that for now (at least in the short to medium term) we should focus on AHK v1.1, as it is already here and it is rock solid and stable. The design of AHK v2 still needs to be fully discussed and completed.
fincs
Windows 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with 32 GB of RAM | AutoHotkey v2.0.0 + v1.1.36.02
Get SciTE4AutoHotkey v3.1.0 - [My project list]
budRich

30 Sep 2013, 18:14

I agree with Zaelia. And confusing for newcomers? I believe it's more confusing to have two sites "selling" the same thing.
gregster

30 Sep 2013, 18:21

budRich wrote:I believe it's more confusing to have two sites "selling" the same thing.
But at the moment, the original site isn't selling much. Many casual and heavy users have problems navigating and getting info out of it. If we now concentrate here on v2 (which I never used before - I am sure, I am not the only one), where should the loads of AHK1.1-users turn to? Should we leave them at the old forum? That can't be good for anyone...
DataLife

01 Oct 2013, 01:13

Relayer wrote:Can someone outline the basic differences between the two? I used to use AHKbasic but now use _L. Wow, how did I ever live without objects? Given that, I'm siding with _L right now.
I am not completely sure but do you think the poll is between "AHKbasic" and "_L"?

Lexikos has been working on Ahk v2 which can be found here http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/6 ... ntry412396

Due to its goal it is necessary to have "script breaking" changes. Therefore I do not consider it backward compatible with any version of AutoHotkey. If I were to install Ahk v2 on my computer I would have to make massive changes to all my scripts.
Check out my scripts. (MyIpChanger) (ClipBoard Manager) (SavePictureAs)
All my scripts are tested on Windows 10, AutoHotkey 32 bit Ansi unless otherwise stated.
jNizM

01 Oct 2013, 01:24

As long as v2 is in alpha/beta/rc we should focus AHK_L

Maybe 1 Topic only for v2 (Announcements, Bugreports, wishlist, ...)
And the rest is focused on AHK_L
[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile
jpginc

01 Oct 2013, 02:32

Just a thought. If we are going to focus on ahk_L what about authotkeyL.com ?
budRich

01 Oct 2013, 05:53

gregster: What if poly fixes the css bugs? I think many of you are afraid of too much change. Also I think that Lexikos should decide what he wants to focus on. Maybe "finish" v1.1, and then start on v2. Focusing on v2 also rhymes better with forking.
tank

01 Oct 2013, 07:58

I would be ecstatic if poly would fix or let someone fix not just the css but the other issues as well. Heck I would even volunteer to do the work. It not chang we fear its the countless wolrks we have invested over the years that we face loosing
We are troubled on every side‚ yet not distressed; we are perplexed‚
but not in despair; Persecuted‚ but not forsaken; cast down‚ but not destroyed;
Telegram is the best way to reach me
https://t.me/ttnnkkrr
If you have forum suggestions please submit a
Check Out WebWriter
FanaticGuru

01 Oct 2013, 19:06

jNizM wrote:As long as v2 is in alpha/beta/rc we should focus AHK_L

Maybe 1 Topic only for v2 (Announcements, Bugreports, wishlist, ...)
And the rest is focused on AHK_L
I agree that v2 is not ready for prime time.

And even when v2 is ready there will need to be a site that strongly supports AHK_L till most users make the switch.

FG
sinkfaze

01 Oct 2013, 22:42

Why are we referring to Lexikos' work as AHK_L again? AFAIK Poly has no legitimate claim over the name AutoHotkey (AHK) aside of the domain. If Lexikos wishes for the software to be called AHK_L I am of course all for it, but he has no less claim to that name than anyone else other than Chris.

That said, this site simply cannot be built on support for v2, it's just not ready. Focusing on v1.1 puts the experience of forum members (and the existing scripts and functions) to its most efficient use.
joedf

01 Oct 2013, 22:45

+1 true, i agree. But currently, naming it simply AHK seems fine, since it is now the main branch...
Image Image Image Image Image
Windows 10 x64 Professional, Intel i5-8500, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB, 2x16GB Kingston FURY Beast - DDR4 3200 MHz | [About Me] | [About the AHK Foundation] | [Courses on AutoHotkey]
[ASPDM - StdLib Distribution] | [Qonsole - Quake-like console emulator] | [LibCon - Autohotkey Console Library]
Alibaba

01 Oct 2013, 22:58

sinkfaze wrote:Why are we referring to Lexikos' work as AHK_L again? AFAIK Poly has no legitimate claim over the name AutoHotkey (AHK) aside of the domain. If Lexikos wishes for the software to be called AHK_L I am of course all for it, but he has no less claim to that name than anyone else other than Chris.
I agree with you, i don't think that poly owns the name, but "only" the domain.
But isn't that the main problem?

As long as autohotkey.com will remain in polys hands, it will keep new users from this forum.
Even if he won't fix anything the old forum looks quite normal to some users. The css issue dosen't affect all.

That's why i'd strongly prefer to keep the version and the exact name only if poly will hand over the domain.
"Nothing is quieter than a loaded gun." - Heinrich Heine
sinkfaze

01 Oct 2013, 23:13

Alibaba wrote:But isn't that the main problem?

As long as autohotkey.com will remain in polys hands, it will keep new users from this forum.
I don't know about that...seems like promotion of the site has done okay thus far, and if he intends to let the site lapse into neglect anyway I don't he stands much chance of retaining whatever traffic he gets.

Perhaps promotion needs to be the next angle.

Return to “About This Community”