read CSV to Associative Array

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older
Stavencross

read CSV to Associative Array

21 Aug 2019, 15:58

Needed to read a bunch of info from a CSV to an assoc. array. Found https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=5251 but it didn't handle commas very well so I updated it and reposted it.

Code: Select all

;CSVtoDict(file)	takes a csv and outputs a dictionary. Took ages as i didn't understand that array.Insert() needs to have a reference for each new object e.g. array.Insert(1, object), array.Insert(2, object) and that each object needs to be re-dimensionalised else it'll always only point to the last set value
;origional  https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=5251
;updated to work with commas. YOU MUST ESCAPE CELLS WITH A COMMA BY SURROUNDING THE WHOLE CELL IN " ".

/*
EXAMPLE DATA(SAVE THIS AS A CSV):
accountId,dealerName,dealerAddress,POCName,POCTN,POCEmail,DPMName,DPMEmail,DPMTN,accountType,DualPartner,engagement,advertising,3pt,SEO,CustomHUD,MPRPrefType,Statisfaction,Group,Lat,Long,TimeZone,OEM,Contacts,Notes
"coolestdealerever","Coolest Car Dealer Ever","2300 marsh ln,dallas NM 75085","1234567890","Nathan Northcut","1234567890","noreply@noreply.com","Courtney Douglas","noreply@noreply.com","1234567890","Lincoln",,"Engaged","Mix","No","No","none","Either","Satisfied","Retail","29","33","America/Chicago","Lincoln","Lance Willis|noreply@noreply.com|,secondContact|noreply@noreply.com|1234567891","this is just a set of notes here!"
*/
FileSelectFile,csvFilePath,1,,Select the CSV file to import your accounts from,*.csv
	if(csvFilePath != "") {
		accountArray:= CSVtoDict(csvFilePath)
		msgbox, % accountArray[1]["accountId"] . " | " . accountArray[1]["dealerName"]
	}

CSVtoDict(File)
{
	array := []
	arrayOfHeaders := []
	arrayOfData := []

Loop, Read, %file%
	{
		If (A_Index == 1) {	;headers
			loop,parse,A_LoopReadLine, csv
			{
				arrayOfHeaders.push(A_LoopField)
			}
		}
		Else
		{
			arrayOfData := {}
			array[A_Index - 1] := {}	;due to the way AHK works, you need to separate object references. http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/77221-associative-array-of-objects-help/						
			loop,parse,A_LoopReadLine, csv ;use a loop,parse so we can correctly handle literal strings & commas
			{				
				arrayOfData.push(A_LoopField)
			}
			subdict := {}	;This line is needed create a new object reference to subdict in memory (We need to clear subdict every iteration or else our first dataset will repeat)			
			For index, value in arrayOfData	;for all columns in one row, create dict of {HeaderName: DataItem, HeaderName: DataItem}
			{				
				subdict[arrayOfHeaders[index]] := value ;make a dictionary of {HeaderName: DataItem}	
			}
			array[A_Index - 1] := subdict			;==array.Insert(A_Index - 1, subdict)	;subdict := {} is needed above else this line just adds the reference to the subdict, not the new values
		}
	}
	Return array
}
divanebaba

Re: read CSV to Associative Array

23 Aug 2019, 09:13

Hi.
Looks nice, but I prefer and recommend csv.ahk.
Einfach nur ein toller Typ. :mrgreen:
Stavencross

02 Sep 2019, 08:10

divanebaba wrote:
23 Aug 2019, 09:13
Hi.
Looks nice, but I prefer and recommend csv.ahk.
Yes, I use that as well! However, I use it for a few other things, in this specific instance I needed exactly to read a csv into a assoc array to work with it, and I thought others might benifit in the future =)
divanebaba

13 Sep 2019, 12:46

Maybe ObjCSV Library can do your job or help at least.
Einfach nur ein toller Typ. :mrgreen:

Return to “Scripts and Functions (v1)”