Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older
DataLife

Re: Columbus - a fast program launcher/searcher

07 Jun 2014, 07:01

I can't get the google search to work. I type /g toy story then I highlight it and press enter. The windows goes back to my visible items list.

Another very cool feature would be a folder search and open /f myscripts

If searching all folders for a match would take too long then we could have the ability to choose favorite folders by dragging and dropping to create the list. I am certain this has been done before but I really like how fast Columbus is and how it operates.
Check out my scripts. (MyIpChanger) (ClipBoard Manager) (SavePictureAs)
All my scripts are tested on Windows 10, AutoHotkey 32 bit Ansi unless otherwise stated.
Elesar

07 Jun 2014, 07:49

Run1e,

As mentioned on IRC, the exe version of the script is not updating properly on my system. I have the Columbus.exe file located on the root of my D drive, and a shortcut in the startup folder. When the system starts, or when I manually launch Columbus, it notifies of an available update. When I select to update, it shows the tooltip that it is downloading, then the script restarts saying that it was updated to 0.28 (The version that was already installed). It then prompts for the 0.30 update again, starting the cycle all over again.

I did check in the AppData\Columbus folder and the download file does get created during the update process, but apparently is never getting moved to replace the currently running version.

This is on Windows 8.1 Pro with UAC disabled.
xZomBie

07 Jun 2014, 10:41

The GUI for App search keeps getting bigger and bigger each time I press the hotkey for a new search.
I tested this on a Win7 64Bit machine... But when I went on testing Columbus with a Win7 x32Bit machine this problem does not occur... Hope to have this fix soon!

One more things is that can the settings be saved in the same directory as the .ahk and .exe file?
I have Columbus on my thumb drive and always have to reset the position when I use it in my school's computer which is running WinXP and is DeepFreezed by the teacher because those computer keeps getting infected by viruses...
runie

07 Jun 2014, 12:41

DataLife wrote:I can't get the google search to work. I type /g toy story then I highlight it and press enter. The windows goes back to my visible items list.

Another very cool feature would be a folder search and open /f myscripts

If searching all folders for a match would take too long then we could have the ability to choose favorite folders by dragging and dropping to create the list. I am certain this has been done before but I really like how fast Columbus is and how it operates.
It did in fact seem like I broke the /g and /w commands. I'll fix it in an update pretty soon.

About the folder search thingy, I have had it on my mind for a week or two but haven't really got around to it. If the interest is there I'll surely implement it in one way or the other.
runie

07 Jun 2014, 12:43

Elesar wrote:Run1e,

As mentioned on IRC, the exe version of the script is not updating properly on my system. I have the Columbus.exe file located on the root of my D drive, and a shortcut in the startup folder. When the system starts, or when I manually launch Columbus, it notifies of an available update. When I select to update, it shows the tooltip that it is downloading, then the script restarts saying that it was updated to 0.28 (The version that was already installed). It then prompts for the 0.30 update again, starting the cycle all over again.

I did check in the AppData\Columbus folder and the download file does get created during the update process, but apparently is never getting moved to replace the currently running version.

This is on Windows 8.1 Pro with UAC disabled.
If the problem is caused by Columbus and not something on your computer, it's in the old 0.28 version which I cannot change now. Only thing I can recommend you doing is to download the latest version here
runie

07 Jun 2014, 12:45

xZomBie wrote:The GUI for App search keeps getting bigger and bigger each time I press the hotkey for a new search.
I tested this on a Win7 64Bit machine... But when I went on testing Columbus with a Win7 x32Bit machine this problem does not occur... Hope to have this fix soon!

One more things is that can the settings be saved in the same directory as the .ahk and .exe file?
I have Columbus on my thumb drive and always have to reset the position when I use it in my school's computer which is running WinXP and is DeepFreezed by the teacher because those computer keeps getting infected by viruses...
I've gotten this request before but making it portable will do one of two things: either, I have to save four different INI files on your thumb drive (unless I come up with* a seriously clever way to save stuff), or it will not be able to "remember" programs you're deleted and added and will most likely break a lot of features. Still, the probability of me adding a "portable" mode is still there.
ozzii

08 Jun 2014, 03:33

I've asked for the portable version but Run1e said that he don't see the need.
So I made a workaround:
On every new version I change the line 39 for: global AppDirectory := A_ScriptDir
Now all the ini files are on the folder where the script is. So fully portable ;)
runie

08 Jun 2014, 12:04

ozzii wrote:I've asked for the portable version but Run1e said that he don't see the need.
So I made a workaround:
On every new version I change the line 39 for: global AppDirectory := A_ScriptDir
Now all the ini files are on the folder where the script is. So fully portable ;)
I can't promise that will be bug-free though! :P
ozzii

10 Jun 2014, 01:51

Well I don't think that having the ini files in the same folder as the script will broke something.
Read the files from the appdata or another folder is the same, right

But we will see. For now it's working.

P.S.: I'm obviously using the non-compiled version ;)
xZomBie

10 Jun 2014, 03:16

xZomBie wrote:The GUI for App search keeps getting bigger and bigger each time I press the hotkey for a new search.
[...]
You still haven't answer this...
runie

10 Jun 2014, 07:37

xZomBie wrote:
[...]
You still haven't answer this...
I have looked into this but have not found anything. Meanwhile, you could assist in a few questions:
Are you using compiled/script version?
If you're using the .ahk, have you modified it?
Do any other ahk scripts run in the backround?
etc..
xZomBie

10 Jun 2014, 08:26

Run1e wrote: I have looked into this but have not found anything. Meanwhile, you could assist in a few questions:
Are you using compiled/script version?
If you're using the .ahk, have you modified it?
Do any other ahk scripts run in the backround?
etc..
I've tested this with both, the .exe and the .ahk, I didn't edit anything in the .ahk file.
Both of them returned the same result...
When testing with a Win7 64-bit and Win8 64-bit, both encounter that problem.
While when tested this with a Win7 32-bit, this problem seems to disappear...
runie

23 Jun 2014, 11:16

0.34:
- Fuzzy search algorithm improved
- - Letters does not have to be in order now.
- Fixed an error in the restoring function
- Newly installed programs will not be added to the bottom of the list

0.33:
- Script will not halt on startup if you don't have internet connection
- "Normal" searching also works in WindowSwitcher now
- Added a border to the main GUI

0.32:
- /docs command only appears on computers with ahk installed.
- Reported by LLLoyed: Fixed a screwup in the commandlist.
- Escape hotkey works normally again.

0.31:
- Fixed a variable bug related to windows
- Fixed /g and /w (they didn't work :D)
- Remove a couple doc entries that didn't work
- You can't delete items in the commandlist and docs now.. lol

0.30:
- Requested by tidbit: /docs opens the help file instead of ahkscript.org
- A couple optimizations
DataLife

24 Jun 2014, 08:24

Until you create an installer it may be a good idea to note in the opening post on where Columbus stores it data so that anyone that wishes to remove Columbus will be able to delete the data also.

Of course I found it in the roaming folder, not because I wanted to remove it but because I was curious where the data files were stored.

Great program.
Check out my scripts. (MyIpChanger) (ClipBoard Manager) (SavePictureAs)
All my scripts are tested on Windows 10, AutoHotkey 32 bit Ansi unless otherwise stated.
runie

26 Jun 2014, 13:53

DataLife wrote:Until you create an installer it may be a good idea to note in the opening post on where Columbus stores it data so that anyone that wishes to remove Columbus will be able to delete the data also.

Of course I found it in the roaming folder, not because I wanted to remove it but because I was curious where the data files were stored.

Great program.
I doubt Columbus will ever need an installed. I'm trying to keep it as minimalistic as possible while still providing the features people want.

I've added an /uninstall command which will delete every trace of Columbus from your machine, it will be avaliable in 0.35
runie

11 Jul 2014, 08:47

0.37:
- /debug added (toggles debug window)
- ListView actually scrolls when using the mouse wheel (wow, convenience!)
- Chrome-apps doesn't get removed from list on reset/restart

0.36:
- Program parser detects Chrome Apps! (might be buggy)
- Command description doesn't say "ERROR" when an entry doesn't exist
- /reset doesn't scramble the list but returns to original version.
- The console toggles correctly with all information already present.

0.35:
- Command description is shown while searching in /docs
- Started reworking the settings menu
- Sequential search toggleable
- /uninstall added (but don't use it)
runie

01 Aug 2014, 10:09

0.39:
- Fixed the autocomplete functionality
- New icon (thanks tidbit!)

0.38:
- Folders can now be added to the list
- Added a timer that times how fast the program does specific things and starts up
- The list reparses the registry every set amount of time (will experiment with this)
- If you decline an update, it will not notify you before another update has come out
- Update behaves a little differently whether you have AHK installed or not
ozzii

04 Aug 2014, 02:15

Well for having the new icon maybe you can download it (if not existent) from inside the script in the right folder ;)
jNizM

06 Aug 2014, 05:17

1. New update aviable?
2. If I choose dl as ahk he delete ahk file and dl exe file
[AHK] v2.0.5 | [WIN] 11 Pro (Version 22H2) | [GitHub] Profile
runie

06 Aug 2014, 16:33

jNizM wrote:1. New update aviable?
2. If I choose dl as ahk he delete ahk file and dl exe file
I found that bug, yes. It seems to have been fixed in 0.40. Please test it and tell me if it works properly on your system :)

Return to “Scripts and Functions (v1)”