Change order of opened apps in taskbar

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
pickone

Change order of opened apps in taskbar

09 Jun 2022, 04:09

Hi!

Can someone please help me with this issue?
I am trying to find an app or make a ahk script which can change the position of an opened app in taskbar.
Let's say that I have 3 opened apps (mspaint, calc, solitarire), in this order... and I want to make solitaire in the first position (near the start button), calc on secondary position and mspaint on 3rd position.

There is any way in order to achieve this? I did not found anything on google...

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by gregster on 09 Jun 2022, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved from 'Scripts and Functions'.
RussF

Re: Change order of opened apps in taskbar

09 Jun 2022, 06:58

I'm not saying that what you want can't be done, but have you thought this through?

Let's say you have 3 opened apps (excel, notepad and irfanview). What's the order then? Or how about (solitaire, chrome and word)? Of the infinite possible combinations of opened apps, how do you assign a priority? Are you going to create an INI file with every possible application you might ever have open and assign a priority value to that app?

The easiest temporary solution is to just drag the icons with your mouse to the order you want them. If you always have the same apps open, just park a shortcut to them on your taskbar. It not only makes them more convenient to launch, but the order will always remain the same.

Why create a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist?

Russ
pickone

09 Jun 2022, 07:21

This is the purpose, to not use the mouse, to work more efficiently.
I only care about 3-4 apps which I wanted first, in the left, in a specified order... After this, I don't care about other apps which will open.

I need something, when I open an app, the script will know and put the app at the xx position.

Let's say that I have 10 apps opened in the taskbar, then I open solitaire, the script should detect this and put it first, then if I open calc, the script should put it in the second position... and so on.

I know that you can use the mouse to sort the opened apps, but this is time consuming. I need to automate this action.
RussF

09 Jun 2022, 07:39

Fair enough.

Again, if you pin those apps to the taskbar in the order you want them, they will stay there - in that order. Any subsequent apps opened will appear after them to the right.

Russ
boiler

09 Jun 2022, 08:56

There may be a way to accomplish this using the Windows API to manage the taskbar button, although it looks like it’s centered around managing the buttons themselves and not their positions.

An alternative would be to use ImageSearch to monitor when and where certain icons appear in the taskbar and use MouseClickDrag drag them to a new spot as necessary.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”