Down and left/right arrows to switch desktops

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
newlandzhang

Down and left/right arrows to switch desktops

Post by newlandzhang » 28 Aug 2017, 20:16

Hello, I downloaded autohotkey specifically for this but found this was more complicated that I thought... Anyways could someone help me make a script that switches to the previous desktop by pressing down and left together as well as switching to the next desktop by pressing down and right together? Thanks

Exaskryz

Re: Down and left/right arrows to switch desktops

Post by Exaskryz » 28 Aug 2017, 21:54

Combination hotkeys would be your Down & Left:: and Down & Right::. I don't have Windows 10, so I don't know how to switch Desktops. But try the Send command. You may need to run your script as an administrator. It may also just be a protected function that AHK can't emulate the hotkeys for. However, there may be a DllCall() that AHK can use; this would take the approach that AHK should mimic the actions of the native hotkeys for switching Desktops instead of triggering the native hotkeys. What that DllCall is, I don't know, and you may have to do googling for it in non-AHK resources.

If you can get it working, the way to preserve your Down key's functionality is with the ~ modifier. ~Down & Left::.

newlandzhang

Post by newlandzhang » 28 Aug 2017, 22:20

Thanks for the reply, but I get an error saying that "Down & Left" is not a valid hotkey. I know now that I can remap the default desktop switch ("CTRL + WINDOW + RIGHT/LEFT) to other keys (right now it is "WINDOW + RIGHT/LEFT") but it would be better if I could switch desktops with one hand. Any other ideas?

Exaskryz

Post by Exaskryz » 29 Aug 2017, 11:40

This code worked perfectly for me as a test: Down & Left::MsgBox Hi

Nightwolf85

Post by Nightwolf85 » 29 Aug 2017, 13:53

This works for me as well:

Code: Select all

Down::Down ; Otherwise down alone doesn't work (will be fired on key release)
Down & Left::Send ^#{Left}
Down & Right::Send ^#{Right}

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”