How to prevent multiple instances of external application

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
shepherd

How to prevent multiple instances of external application

02 Apr 2019, 09:40

How can I ensure that when I run an external application from an AHK script, that it only runs one instance?

Background: I have a program on my PC called eSignal. If I double click a file with .ach extension it will open eSignal. Under windows XP it would only open one instance no matter how many times I double clicked it. Unfortunately, under windows 7, it opens a new instance each time.

I would like to use AHK to reproduce the XP behaviour under windows 7 if possible.

Sorry if I've explained this badly but I'm fairly new to this. Any pointers would be appreciated.
sinkfaze

Re: How to prevent multiple instances of external application

02 Apr 2019, 10:28

I don't have the ability to build a testable script for this at the moment, but here are a couple of good starting points:

How to detect a double-click ??
Explorer: get name of file under cursor
shepherd

02 Apr 2019, 10:43

Thanks sinkfaze.

To clarify, I want a script that will open multiple .ahk files under just one instance of eSignal. Currently I have a script that will open multiple .ahk files but every time a new instance of eSignal is opened, which is no good.
Osprey

02 Apr 2019, 12:55

Have you checked to make sure that it's not a setting in eSignal that you previously had enabled on your XP system but have neglected to re-enable since installing it on Windows 7? Some applications (like Notepad++) have a "single instance" setting so that you can toggle that behavior.
Last edited by Osprey on 02 Apr 2019, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
shepherd

02 Apr 2019, 13:16

Thanks Osprey. I looked for that but couldn't find anything. eSignal technical support knew nothing about it either.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”