Excel COM Application.Visible to target specific workbook

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
DRocks

Excel COM Application.Visible to target specific workbook

15 Nov 2019, 13:28

How do you make ExcelWorkbook1.xslx visible and keep ExcelWorkbook2.xlsx invisible when both belong to the same Excel Application object ?

XlApp.Visible := True will automatically bring every workbooks in the xlApp object visible together. How do you target only workbook1 or workbook2 with the Visible property ?

MS lead me to confusion with their help file here and what I tried does not suceed.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/excel.application.visible

I am using this class to help me get handle to the 3 main Excel object:
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69841

For example I've tried things like :
xlWB := ExcelCOM.GetWorkbook(FichierKM)
xlWB.Windows(fileName).Visible := true

It has worked but is very unreliable and I can't understand what Excel expects.. I'm still reading through their object model trying to get clues

Thanks in advance
DRocks

Re: Excel COM Application.Visible to target specific workbook

15 Nov 2019, 14:30

I found a way that feels hacky to me but here's the sample. Is that even close to a good way of doing it ?

Code: Select all

;...
if (!xlApp.Visible && WindowShouldBeVisible) {
    xlApp.Visible := true
}
xlWB.Windows(FileName).Visible := WindowShouldBeVisible
;...
What's wierd about it is that the window is opened for a fraction of time and closed when the xlWB.Windows(FileName) is called.
What do you think about it and how would you approach this situation ?
flyingDman

15 Nov 2019, 17:39

You are not stating what WindowShouldBeVisible is, but it should resolve to True or False. I have done some reading and could not find a better way. Call it "hacky" or something else as long as there is a way get it to work reliably... One thing is clear, making the app visible or not (i.e xl.visible := True / False) and making a workbook visible or not (i.e xl.Windows("filename").Visible := True / False) are 2 different things. So, if you need to open two excel files, one of which needs to visible and the other not, you need to include xl.visible := true but you can do it after hiding one of the workbooks to avoid having the second file "flash". So this would be a way to do it:

Xl := ComObjCreate("Excel.Application") 		
Xl.Workbooks.Open("C:\Spreadsheets\test 123.xlsx")
Xl.Workbooks.Open("C:\Spreadsheets\test 456.xlsx")
; XL.Windows("test 123.xlsx").Activate                                 ;not needed
Xl.Windows("test 456.xlsx").Visible := False
Xl.visible := true
or, if there are a bunch of workbooks open, this would be a way to hide all but one:

Xl := ComObjCreate("Excel.Application") 				            
for x in xl.Workbooks
	if (x.name != "test 123.xlsx")                                   ;keep this one visible 
		xl.Windows(x.name).visible := false
To activate a hidden workbook, you'll have to make it visible first, then to activate it:

Xl.Windows("test 456.xlsx").visible := true
XL.Windows("test 456.xlsx").activate
14.3 & 1.3.7
DRocks

17 Nov 2019, 08:40

@flyingDman
Thanks a lot FlyingDman.
you need to include xl.visible := true but you can do it after hiding one of the workbooks to avoid having the second file "flash".
Ah that's exactly what I wanted to acheive, nice.
To activate a hidden workbook, you'll have to make it visible first, then to activate it
Nice find too, I didn't know that and was infact trying to activate a hidden workbook before showing the window in my current code.

I'll put all your examples in the class I'm using to make it work like you've shown here.
I really appreciate your help thanks again. :mrgreen:

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”