In your opinion, what's the best way to create a custom ListView?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
FrostByte

15 Dec 2019, 21:50

First off, It's been a while since I was active in this community! I was 14 when I was here last, and I used IRC as well as this forum quite a bit. 7 years later, I've got a lot more experience under my belt.

This isn't really a request for support, rather a request for your recommendations. I'd like to know what you would personally feel inclined to do if you wanted to create a custom control in a graphical user interface using AHK.

This goes for any control really (such as a button, scrollbar, checkbox, etc.), but specifically I want to know what you would personally do to create a custom ListView (example: Windows Media Player definitely has tweaked its main interface for its specific application).

Would you use GDI+? Direct2D? Use Windows APIs (that I don't know of)? Or would you rig a bunch of standard Windows controls?

Something else?

Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for giving me your recommendations/experiences! :D
Hellbent

Re: In your opinion, what's the best way to create a custom ListView?

15 Dec 2019, 22:07

I've never actually created a normal ListView, and I've only ever created one custom ListView just for fun and it was lacking many features that one might want to have included.
(As seen at the bottom of this thread)
https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=64671

But if I were to make a real go at it, I would personally go with using GDI+. That's just my 2 cents.
FrostByte

15 Dec 2019, 22:30

That looks amazing! You should definitely make the code reusable and make it into a class, I would certainly use that in certain applications.

I have to agree that GDIP would probably be the way to go, especially for big data. I would be concerned a bit about performance, but I would have to test it to figure it out.

Thanks again!
Hellbent

15 Dec 2019, 22:44

FrostByte wrote:
15 Dec 2019, 22:30
I would be concerned a bit about performance, but I would have to test it to figure it out.
I think that performance shouldn't be too much of a issue. You can get away with quite a bit when working with gdip.
Check out some of these.

https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65625

For the most part your control would largely be static.
tmplinshi

17 Dec 2019, 16:02

An example using XCGUI
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (311.01 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Source

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”