UI Access impossible with UAC OFF?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
WAZAAAAA

UI Access impossible with UAC OFF?

06 Mar 2020, 13:27

Tested on Windows 10. Why can I only enable UI Access when UAC is ON but not when UAC is OFF? I can still click "Run with UI Access" from the context menu on .ahk scripts, but it doesn't actually enable it. (Process Explorer has a column that shows what processes have UIA enabled)

Please note that turning the slider all the way down sets UAC to a minimum, but still doesn't disable it. It can be turned OFF for real by setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLUA to 0 and restarting your PC.

ctfmon and osk can have UI Access regardless of the UAC setting... is this an AutoHotkey bug?
YOU'RE NOT ALEXANDER
guest3456

Re: UI Access impossible with UAC OFF?

06 Mar 2020, 14:29

you only cited 2 microsoft apps.. do any 3rd party apps allow this?

what do you use UI Access for? and in what scenarios do you have UAC off while doing that?

WAZAAAAA

Re: UI Access impossible with UAC OFF?

07 Mar 2020, 23:05

guest3456 wrote:
you only cited 2 microsoft apps.. do any 3rd party apps allow this?
now that you mention it, I can't find any non-Microsoft app that behaves like that... 3rd party programs that would normally have UIA ON when UAC is ON will have UIA OFF when UAC is OFF :\
guest3456 wrote:
what do you use UI Access for? and in what scenarios do you have UAC off while doing that?
I just want to make my script compatible with users who have UAC set to OFF...
this might sound unusual but the script I'm working on requires SeDebugPrivilege + administrator rights + UI Access in order to work properly since it's meant to suspend/close/minimize a couple of important system processes such as winlogon and dwm

in my tests, running the script with:
UAC ON + UIA ON = works
UAC OFF (+ UIA OFF) = doesn't work
YOU'RE NOT ALEXANDER

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”