AHK and Eyetracking - part 2

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
submeg

AHK and Eyetracking - part 2

12 Feb 2021, 18:32

Hi all,

A while back, I was trying to see if I could amlgamate AHK with the software by thinksmartbox, Grid 3. Luckily it turned out that the ideas we needed were actually possible by creating icons on the desktop and then using Grid 3 to control the Windows Surface Pro directly. He was able to get a great deal of use out of the combination of Grid 3, some well made program shortcuts and some smaller AHK scripts I made for him.

Unfortunately, he passed away two weeks ago after his MND progressed. I now have the Tobii Dyvanox EyeMobile Mini with me, and I'm trying to see what I could do with it. After playing with it for a while, some questions have formulated:
  • I was wondering if there are any cases of people using Eyegaze with AHK - maybe there's a class that exists that will help me read input from the eye mini, rather than the mouse and keyboard actions that it emulates.

• Are there any use cases that jump out at others as an optimum use for an eyetracker? Right now, I'm thinking of some ideas:
    • Rebooting my script
      ○ Locking my PC
      ○ Enabling / disabling keyboard and mouse
      ○ Phrase parser (for building AHK or long bits of typing?)
      ○ Context menus which are program specific
      ○ Music player controller
    • There are many different trackers out on the market now; which would be the best hardware in terms of accuracy and functionality?
swagfag

Re: AHK and Eyetracking - part 2

12 Feb 2021, 19:29

well, sorry to hear that...

ur best bet is asking some developers from https://www.tobiidynavox.com/about/contact/ whether a low-level C/C++ API/SDK is available for the PCEye Mini(i poked around but couldnt tell from the website. it might exist, but they might be keeping it secret)
be very careful as to how u go about asking them, chances are a nontechnical salesperson is simply gonna blow u off or bounce u back to https://developer.tobii.com/(which is responsible for the gaming type trackers only apparently, and not the medical ones)

if a DLL exists, ure prolly mostly set. if it doesnt, depending on the implementation, AHK might not be language best suited for working with it(not impossible, but rather very painstakingly time consuming)

as for uses, beats me. im not quadriplegic and i mostly use just the keyboard anyway
cant say which eye tracker is the best either. look at what interesting features/API support they got, get one; if its performance is subpar, return it
submeg

Re: AHK and Eyetracking - part 2

12 Feb 2021, 20:01

Thanks swagfag, it's been a rough journey, but at least he's not in pain anymore.

I did hear from EvilC on Reddit and there might be some options in C#. Hmm, would be interesting to see if the dev team would provide any info...

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”