New object with bad parameters silently failing

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
danielo515

New object with bad parameters silently failing

01 May 2015, 09:32

Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is a Bug or an intended behavior, so feel free to move the thread if it does not fits here.
Today I went absolutely crazy with an objects behavior that took me some hours to figure out. Imagine an object like this

Code: Select all

class test{
   __New(something){
        this.something := something
   }
}
If you call it without parameters, it will not fail, and it will create the object. If you do the same with a function you will get an error, but with objects the only thing that happens is that the function __New never gets executed.

Of course is easy to address just adding somethin:=0 to add a default value, but until you figure this happens you can drive yourself crazy.

Regards.
lexikos

Re: New object with bad parameters silently failing

01 May 2015, 20:29

That the method/function isn't called is intended. This is consistent with other dynamic function calls:
If the function cannot be called due to one of the reasons below, the evaluation of the expression containing the call stops silently and prematurely, which may lead to inconsistent results:
  • Calling a nonexistent function, which can be avoided by using If IsFunc(VarContainingFuncName). Except for built-in functions, the called function's definition must exist explicitly in the script by means such as #Include or a non-dynamic call to a library function.
  • Passing too few parameters, which can be avoided by checking IsFunc()'s return value (which is the number of mandatory parameters plus one). Note: In v1.0.48+, passing too many parameters is tolerated; each extra parameter is fully evaluated (including any calls to functions) and then discarded.
That the object is still constructed despite failing to call __New was originally unintended, but is kept for backward-compatibility. It has already been changed in v2.
I'm not sure if this is a Bug or an intended behavior,
In that case, don't post in Bug Reports.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”