Detect Variable Name Of GUI Control? Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Mulsiphix

Detect Variable Name Of GUI Control?

Post by Mulsiphix » 20 Mar 2022, 06:58

I would like to put my mouse over a GUI control, activate a hotkey, and have a MsgBox tell me what the variable name for that control is. I thought A_GuiControl held that information, but upon further reading, I'm not sure it works that way because the mouse hovering over a control doesn't make it the active thread, which is what I understand A_GuiControl to be tracking. Is there another built-in variable that might do the trick?
A_GuiControl
The name of the variable associated with the GUI control that launched the current thread. If that control lacks an associated variable,
A_GuiControl instead contains the first 63 characters of the control's text/caption (this is most often used to avoid giving each button a variable name). A_GuiControl is blank whenever: 1) A_Gui is blank; 2) a GUI menu bar item or event such as GuiClose/GuiEscape launched the current thread; 3) the control lacks an associated variable and has no caption; or 4) The control that originally launched the current thread no longer exists (perhaps due to Gui Destroy).

Code: Select all

#O::MsgBox, %A_GuiControl%

mikeyww

Re: Detect Variable Name Of GUI Control?  Topic is solved

Post by mikeyww » 20 Mar 2022, 07:44

Code: Select all

Gui, Add, Edit, w100 vebox1, Test1
Gui, Add, Edit, w100 vebox2, Test2
Gui, Show

#o::
MouseGetPos,,,, classNN
GuiControlGet, varName, Name, %classNN%
MsgBox, 64, Variable name, %varName%
Return

Mulsiphix

Re: Detect Variable Name Of GUI Control?

Post by Mulsiphix » 20 Mar 2022, 19:37

Thank you for showing me how to do this mikeyww! You are amazing :clap:

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”