how to ignore the ghost key? Topic is solved

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Bootimar

how to ignore the ghost key?

05 Aug 2023, 15:23

Hello friends, I appreciate any help.
My keyboard has an issue that when I press W and D at the same time, E is pressed by a ghost! For example, if I press WD my keyboard will type WDE. It is also very annoying in games (while driving a car, if you try to turn right you will jump out of the car!)
What code can I use to ignore the E key while I am pressing W and D at the same time?
Master_X

Re: how to ignore the ghost key?

05 Aug 2023, 15:44

simplest idea comes to mind is

Code: Select all

e::
e as defined hotkey which is disabled as input key without any modifiers. Ever tried that?
gregster

05 Aug 2023, 16:09

I think keyboard ghosting, actually being a keyboard-specific hardware problem, has its own quirks. I can't reproduce it here, but I would try smth like:

#If GetKeyState("w", "P") && GetKeyState("d", "P")		; check if w and d are currently pressed
e::return			; disable e
#If
(return stands here for the return statement which you would put at the end of a subroutine or function; you could also put it into the next line(s).)
Like this, e should only be disabled if w and d are pressed at the same time. Otherwise, the e key should still be usable as itself.
If the game runs elevated, your script would need these rights as well.

I would advise against simply using e:: since this would only disable e without side-effects, if absolutely no other code - or if smth like return or exit which ends the subroutine - follows. It also wouldn't be context-sensitive which seems to be requested here.
Consider
Spoiler
Last edited by gregster on 05 Aug 2023, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spoilered code
Master_X

05 Aug 2023, 16:21

My first thought was also it's a hardware problem so what to do.

If computer really recognizes the pressed E key you could remap E to be W+D pressed via autohotkey. Since I don't have any keyboards with these problems I cannot test anything. Only problem in any case... you cannot use your E key

I just tried my cheapest 8€ keyboard and it does not do it >.>
Bootimar

06 Aug 2023, 01:22

Dear @gregster and @Master_X, thank you for your reply.
This code doesn't work for me:

#If GetKeyState("w", "P") && GetKeyState("d", "P")		; check if w and d are currently pressed
#If
this one e:: works but I cannot use E anymore.

Is there another code to convert WDE to WD, or disable E while I am holding W?

(When I hold WD, my keyboard thinks I am holding WDE physically, so you can test your code by holding WDE)
Master_X

06 Aug 2023, 04:32

Tbh, I would buy another keyboard but thats me.

disable e by holding w would be

#If GetKeyState("w", "P")
e::return
#If 
Since it's a hardware thing, you cannot convert the input in any way. As far I understand the keyboard key w+d gives the computer the e input like if you press e. So you can only handle the pressed E OR the pressed W key OR the pressed D key. But I am also by no means good in this. I may be wrong
gregster

Re: how to ignore the ghost key?  Topic is solved

06 Aug 2023, 04:32

Bootimar wrote:
06 Aug 2023, 01:22
This code doesn't work for me:

#If
Your keyboard still sends e while pressing both w and d ?

Just to make sure: Which AHK version are you running?
I am assuming that you are running some recent AHK v1.1.x version. Correct?

If e:: "worked" to completely deactivate e, this single line should as well (just without potential side-effects) in both v1 and v2:

(When I hold WD, my keyboard thinks I am holding WDE physically, so you can test your code by holding WDE)
No, unfortunately this won't work on my keyboard. If I am already holding w and d, e will never fire when I press it as a third key. That's another hardware limitation of many keyboards: Many three-key combos not consisting of modifiers won't work together. (I would need a different (gaming) keyboard.)

What I can test: Hold w or d, then press e. Not sure if it will help you for the game, but this works for me (I replaced && with ||)

; #InstallKeybdHook
#Requires AutoHotkey v1.1.33		; require minimum version
#If GetKeyState("w", "P") || GetKeyState("d", "P")		; check if w or d are currently pressed
#If
Since you said that e:: disabled e in your game, I am not assuming that you need to run your script as admin. Still, you could try it with the code above.
You could also add #InstallKeybdHook at the top and see if that helps somehow.

No idea if this can be solved at all with AHK.
Bootimar

06 Aug 2023, 06:53

Thank you very very much dear @gregster and also @Master_X ! You revived my keyboard! :bravo:
This code perfectly works on any version of AHK:

; #InstallKeybdHook
#If GetKeyState("w", "P") || GetKeyState("d", "P")		; check if w or d are currently pressed
#If
boiler

06 Aug 2023, 08:12

Bootimar wrote: This code perfectly works on any version of AHK:
Actually, it does not work in AHK v2, but it would with a minor change.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”