multiple instances incorrectly run at the same time every time I click RUN

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
SteveMylo

multiple instances incorrectly run at the same time every time I click RUN

15 Oct 2023, 06:03

I noticed that when I run a script that Is already running, another instance runs at the same time every time I click RUN. I can see them doubling up in the task tray and no, when I hover the mouse over them it doesn't disappear .
I use the line '#SingleInstance, Force' and it still happens.
This never ever happened on my Windows 10 PC since I started with Autohotkey 3 years ago, but now I have a Windows 11 Laptop, it always happens and even running the same scripts. why?
It's so frustrating , I have to implement an exit first method before running each time when I'm in Dev.

I even put in a trillion fail safes that ChatGPT offered, which were all very good. See spoiler here for reference of one suggestion
Spoiler
but, It seems if I press run for the 2nd time without clicking anywhere else on the screen or typing, it'll create two instances, but If I do click or type, the fail-safe scripts will work and nullify two instance. strange
RussF

Re: multiple instances incorrectly run at the same time every time I click RUN

15 Oct 2023, 08:35

SteveMylo wrote: I use the line '#SingleInstance, Force' and it still happens.
I honestly don't know for sure if it makes a difference, but the example in #SingleInstance does not have a comma - your example does. Perhaps try without one?

Russ
V0RT3X

15 Oct 2023, 08:55

Just a possibility...

The posting by Cattleya about 2/3 of the way down in the below old thread offers a SingleInstance function that may help.

https://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/56956-singleinstance-force-doesnt-work-sometimes/
SteveMylo

15 Oct 2023, 10:23

Would you believe chatGPT pointed me to that thread. Pretty unbelievable.
Anyways, i tried about 11 different fail safes & they all didn’t work. Even ones including a FlagFile & many others.
Something is wrong that my other computer PC windows 10 does not happen.
I’m using SciTE4Autohotkey. Maybe that’s it.
I have recently switched to VS Code. I’ll try there perhaps
SteveMylo

15 Oct 2023, 10:27

RussF wrote:
SteveMylo wrote: I use the line '#SingleInstance, Force' and it still happens.
I honestly don't know for sure if it makes a difference, but the example in #SingleInstance does not have a comma - your example does. Perhaps try without one?

Russ
It shouldn’t make a difference at all. But i’ll try tomorrow
The comma in `#SingleInstance, Force` is optional. Both `#SingleInstance, Force` and `#SingleInstance Force` are valid and functionally identical in AutoHotkey.

In AutoHotkey, the comma is often used to delimit parameters in function calls and commands, but in the case of directives like `#SingleInstance`, it's not required. So you can use whichever version you find more readable or consistent with your coding style.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”