Can't find script

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
trust_me

Re: Can't find script

19 Dec 2017, 08:36

named it myautohotkey.ahk. When I start autohotkey, instead of starting the script
What do you mean by starting autohotkey ? To run a script you double click the script file name not autohotkey.exe .If you made it with notepad you must know where you saved the script ?
Sorry if i misunderstood what you did :?
divanebaba

19 Dec 2017, 10:15

To solve this problem, you have to speak common language and accurately describe your problem.
Already your first post leaves questions unanswered. You wrote: "I moved my old files to a new Windows 10 computer."
So I think, you made this manually, by, for example, copying all selfwritten scripts to an external drive and from there to your Harddrive on your Win10-system or similar.
Is this correct, or have you used Microsoft-build-programm to "Transfer my files to new system", or however they call them?
I mean the Microsoft-tool, which says, when you are installing Win10: "You have already Win7 installed. Do you want to overwrite or transfer the data to your new system?"

Before we talk, without knowing, what is present, this must be cleared first.

Manually Installing Autohotkey with AutoHotkey_1.1.26.01_setup.exe or prior or later versions and writing own scripts is foolproof. So if you want reliable support, give an answer to the question above.

If this question is cleared, next questions will follow.
Einfach nur ein toller Typ. :mrgreen:
Bob Shuken

19 Dec 2017, 13:08

When I got the new Windows 10 computer the IT people moved my data files and operating system from my old computer to the new one. I have no idea how they did that . They did not move or reinstall the hotkey .exe file. So I downloaded it from the website and it operated correctly except that it was using an old script. That is when I could not find the hotkey script that the hotkey program was using. After spending much time on that problem, I gave up.

Now I have uninstalled Hotkey.exe and deleted all traces of the program folder and and files that I could find. Then I went to the tutorial quick start on the website and followed the directions exactly. I downloaded the installer which installed the .exe file and some other files in a hotkey folder in the programs folder. Then I right clicked on the desktop, started a new hotkey file (which is actually a notepad file), put in a one line simple script underneath the hotkey header lines, saved the file to the desktop using a .AHK extension. When I click on the new file icon on the desktop all that happens is that it opens in the edit mode. It does not run hotkey. When I go to the hotkey.exe file and double click it, it opens and tell me that I have not told hotkey where to look for the script file. I also tried saving the script file to the hotkey program file folder with the same result.
divanebaba

21 Dec 2017, 19:41

On Win7 there is a searchfield at the bottom of the start menu, which rapidly finds (any) file on disk.
Maybe, Win10 has similar searchfield.
If not, use, as recommended by myself before, Everything to find your obsolet ahk-script.
When I say ahk-script, I mean the file you created and modified in an editor to send the numbers you talked about.
I do not mean the installed Autohotkey files, that the installer creates in program files folder.

When the obsolet script is in function, it has to be somewhere on your disc.
This solutions with windows search (only this quick one in start menu - not the ultra slow find function in the explorer) and a portable version of Everything seem only way to find your ahk-script.
Type *.ahk for windows search or .ahk by search with Everything.

Or make it like Microsoft and contact your administrator or the seller of the software. :crazy:
I'm sorry but this solutions are the only one, I can suggest.
Portable version of Everything is my preferred solution.

One question: Does your obsolete script, which sends the wrong numbers, still work?
If yes, does it even work, when Autohotkey is not installed? (Look into program files folder or in system control panel for installed programs)
Einfach nur ein toller Typ. :mrgreen:
Bob Shuken

22 Dec 2017, 19:06

Thank you for your recommendation for Everything. I uninstalled Hotkey.exe, removed all references to hotkey and AHK on the computer, reinstalled Hotkey, and wrote a new script. Everything working OK now.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”