Configure a Hotkey in Evernote

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
bradsayers

Configure a Hotkey in Evernote

Post by bradsayers » 22 Apr 2020, 08:46

I have benefited much from AutoHotkey for many years, exclusively for automatically correcting misspelled words and triggering longer text expansion.

What I would like is to make the letter 'd' a hotkey that deletes a note when I am working inside Evernote.

This would really speed up my workflow, as I process up to 300 notes a week in that app. I already have my left hand on the keyboard and if I could delete notes by hitting 'd' on the keyboard it would be really useful for me to quickly delete the brain farts and then focus on the notes I want to keep. I already have my gmail hotkeys set up to do this, and it's super efficient.

I'm a simple user and got frustrated reading the help on how to do this myself, so if someone could provide the script I would be very thankful.

Thanks, Brad

lawnmowerobot

Re: Configure a Hotkey in Evernote

Post by lawnmowerobot » 12 Feb 2021, 19:13

I find a number of the Evernote keyboard shortcuts too lengthy (eg 3 keys involved) to be easily used and remembered

Below are three snippets which only work when you are in Evernote, and shorten the keyboard shortcuts to two keys, ie
Go to Home screen. Alt h instead of Ctrl Alt 1
Go from a note to the search results list. Alt l instead of Ctrl Alt \
Go to tag manager. Alt t insteat of Ctrl Alt t
This doesn't directly answer your question but you may be able to use the same approach
(I also set up Alt e to be the shortcut to go to search but this can be done in the keyboard shortcuts section (go there via Ctrl /). For some reason you can only edit the Global shortcuts)
While I'm here - does anyone know how to call such snippets from a GUI menu? I can call hotstrings and other things from a menu but cannot see how to do it in this case

Code: Select all

#IfWinActive​, ahk_exe Evernote.exe
!h:: ;Send Ctrl Alt 1 which is the shortcut to go to the home screen
SendInput, ^!1
return
#IfWinActive

!l:: ;Send Ctrl Alt \ which is the shortcut to go from a note back to the notes list
SendInput, ^!\
return
#IfWinActive

!t:: ;Send Ctrl Alt t which is the shortcut to go to tag manager
SendInput, ^!t
return
#IfWinActive
Last edited by BoBo on 12 Feb 2021, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [code][/code]-tags.

bradsayers

Post by bradsayers » 13 Feb 2021, 13:56

Thanks for the response as I was still without a solution to this, which in my mind is a powerful workflow piece.

I tried the following:

#IfWinActive?, ahk_exe Evernote.exe
d:: ;Send delete
SendInput, Delete
return
#IfWinActive
[Mod edit: [code][/code] tags added.]

However, typing the d key didn't activate the Delete key. I noticed that if I was in a note and typed d it would spell the word delete.

Is there something about the delete key that makes this more complicated? In Evernote for Windows, under the edit menu, the only hot key for delete is - delete - not a tradition hot key.

Brad

gregster

Post by gregster » 13 Feb 2021, 14:00

#IfWinActive, ahk_exe Evernote.exe
d:: ;Send delete
SendInput, {Delete}
return
#IfWinActive
Key names have to be between braces, when sent. See here: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/commands/Send.htm#keynames
Otherwise, it will just the send the single characters, the word(s).

btw, you also have a stray ? in your first code line above.

bradsayers

Post by bradsayers » 13 Feb 2021, 14:31

That works perfectly! Thanks guys! Brad

EDIT: it does delete notes when I am in the notes list, but when I am typing notes up that include the letter d I run into a problem where the d doesn't type and I can't proceed, so I am wondering if I am going to need a hotkey after all....does this make sense?

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”