Repeating screen capture

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
thegrove

Repeating screen capture

Post by thegrove » 22 May 2021, 06:21

Many sites may have an image that is wider and longer than the visible screen. I would like to be able to select an area to copy as an image, save it then move a screen to the right and copy the same area. Then move down and copy the next portion and finally to the left to capture the portion that is below my original starting point.
image.png
image.png (13.9 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Ideally, I would like to be able to stitch these parts together, but that could be done outside of AHK once the images are saved.

Even better if it could be generic so that a dialog appears at the beginning to specify how many steps to the right and down are required, i.e. not just my example of four in a square, but it could be 3 across and 4 down.

As an example of a generic site where this should work www.google.com/maps

Reading some of the examples I might need to use the gdi+ tools in AHK or perhaps it can be done with the Windows Snipping tool.

Is anyone aware if this has been done or could get me started?

Thanks.

mikeyww

Re: Repeating screen capture

Post by mikeyww » 22 May 2021, 07:03

You could adapt the approach of a screen clipper to use any coordinates.

https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=360111#p360111

thegrove

Post by thegrove » 22 May 2021, 14:37

Thanks @mikeyww

Are there some instructions for installing GDI+ and where to install it. There seems to be some forum discussion about it not working on Windows 10 64 bit. Has that been fixed?

Thanks.

thegrove

Post by thegrove » 22 May 2021, 15:06

Thanks @mikeyww

I have it installed and working. That handles the basic screen capture.

How do I go about the multiple captures in sequence? i.e. move and capture, move again and capture? Then paste the images together?

mikeyww

Post by mikeyww » 22 May 2021, 15:11

You can repeat Gdip_BitmapFromScreen as many times as you want, and save those files each time. There might be some stitching examples in the forum; I have not checked. There is also ImageMagick that can stitch, and some AHK posts about how to do that if you search.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”