Switching to Edge object instead of IE object?

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Nixcalo

Switching to Edge object instead of IE object?

Post by Nixcalo » 07 Oct 2021, 19:36

Hi everyone!

I have a problem. I have a script that creates a hidden IE instance, navigates to a certain URL that is supplied and then retrieves information from a frame within that page. The thing is that I need to navigate to a veeery long URL (over 2500 characters), and I have found out that IE limits URL's to just 2083 characters. So the script crashes in the IE.Navigate(Path) line (took ages to find the reason why!).

Since I can't imagine a way to bypass that limit, I feel the only way is to migrate my code to Edge instead, since it will accept URL's longer than 5000 characters (I have checked). But I don' t know how to do the migration. How can I change the references to the IE object to Microsoft Edge? I know I can use the Run, %Path% option but I don't know how to do it in a hidden window, nor access the frames content as IE.document.readyState, IE.busy or IE.document.getElementsByTagName("textarea")[1].value, among others, are able to do. Ideally, I would need to do the same things I am doing in Internet Explorer now in Edge.

Notice I am in now way an expert in IE objects or DOM. I just found the information on this forum and then managed to adapt it to my needs via trial and error. I honestly stil don't know really what IE.document.getElementsByTagName("textarea")[1].value is, or why it seems to be the same as IE.document.getElementsByClassName("lmt__textarea lmt__target_textarea")[0].innertext...

Here's my code.

Code: Select all

IE := ComObjCreate("InternetExplorer.Application") ;~ Creation of hidden Internet Explorer instance to look up Deepl Translate and retrieve translation
   IE.Visible := False

IE.Navigate(Path) ; Here is the issue, if Path is longer than 2083 characters, it crashes.
; Path can be something like "https://www.deepl.com/translator#en/es/" and then a very long string (the text you want to translate in DeepL, actually)
    While IE.readyState!=4 || IE.document.readyState!="complete" || IE.busy ; Wait until page is loaded
            Sleep 50
	While (IE.document.getElementsByTagName("textarea")[1].value = "")  ;Since the conversion takes a second we want to wait till the value is filled otherwise the return will always be nothing

{
		Sleep 50
		If (A_Index >190) { ; Es decir, tarda demasiado
			; MsgBox ,,,Error`, restarting, .5
			IE.Quit
			Result:="Translation failed"
			}

}

Result := IE.document.getElementsByTagName("textarea")[1].value ; Retrieves the translation of Path in Result

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”