Trouble downloading

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
bjorklund

Trouble downloading

23 Sep 2022, 13:48

I just got a new computer, and am trying to download AHK onto this computer. I've downloaded it, and it says it's installed. However, when I right click>new>AutoHotkey Script, it's not opening properly. On my old computer, when I did this, it would load a shortcut, with the AHK logo, but now the shortcut looks like notepad. I can click Edit (it was Edit Script on my old computer) and it opens up notepad, but after I save and double click, instead of giving the message that a previous script exists, it just opens up notepad.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled AHK, and I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I downloaded it on my old computer about 3 years ago, so I'm sure there's something I'm missing, but I'm following the steps through the tutorial and from youtube, so I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks
BoBo

Re: Trouble downloading

23 Sep 2022, 13:54

The notepad logo indicates that your AHK-files are currently assigned to notepad.exe instead of autohotkey.exe
So your scripts will be opened within notepad for editing instead of executed by autohotkey.exe.
bjorklund

Re: Trouble downloading

23 Sep 2022, 14:18

BoBo wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 13:54
The notepad logo indicates that your AHK-files are currently assigned to notepad.exe instead of autohotkey.exe
So your scripts will be opened within notepad for editing instead of executed by autohotkey.exe.
Thank you for explaining that. So how would I change that to assign the files to autohotkey.exe?

I've also tried opening notepad, putting in my macros, save as, change "Save as type" to all files and have the file name end in .ahk, but it still won't show.

Feel free to explain it to me as though I'm a 5-year-old :P

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”