AutoHotKey & SQL in a separate file...

Get help with using AutoHotkey (v1.1 and older) and its commands and hotkeys
Sergio

AutoHotKey & SQL in a separate file...

11 Oct 2013, 14:46

I use a MySQL database as the backend for a particularly large AHK software. I used to declare a query & run it in-line, but to make life easier for myself I created a separate document and just included it into my code. It's a good idea in theory, but it created nightmares in practice. The biggest nightmare is that the query is dynamic. So it's a variable which is comprised of some static data, but also of several other variables.

Example:

Code: Select all

dummySalesPlaceholderSQL = 
(
	INSERT INTO ``site_Sale`` (``mainID``, ``partialSiteID``, ``siteSalePrice``, ``siteSaleQty``, ``siteSaleDate``, ``dateCollected``) 
	VALUES('%mainID%', 'NoSalesFound','0.00','0', NOW(),NOW());
)
So, when it was compiled in-line, it was not a problem but when the variable is created upon startup and none of it's child values are yet present, it becomes useless.

Is there any way to get the variable to recreate itself when I need it, thereby discovering the newly created data? I tried these two, but no luck.

insertQrySQL = %insertQrySQL%

insertQrySQL := insertQrySQL
jethrow: added code tags ... because we can now
Zelio

Re: AutoHotKey & SQL in a separate file...

11 Oct 2013, 16:57

I am not sure to understand, you mean insertQrySQL := %insertQrySQL% ? like a double deref in expresion as % %insertQrySQL%
jethrow

12 Oct 2013, 01:00

If you want an answer, you will prolly need to ask again & give more detail. For instance, and it may just be my ignorance, but the following statement doesn't make sence outside of your mind:
Is there any way to get the variable to recreate itself when I need it, thereby discovering the newly created data?
just me

12 Oct 2013, 03:55

You might be looking for Transform, Deref, .... You have to escape the %-signs in this case.

Or you might use an unique literal value instead of the variable and StringReplace/RegExReplace().
Sergio

12 Oct 2013, 22:32

I did not explain it properly. Actually, I do not need SQL to explain this. Lets say my code looks like this

File1:

endVar := "Var 1 is: |" . var1 . "|`nVar2 is: |" . var2 . "|" 
File2:

#Include, File1.ahk
var1 := "ABC"
var2 := "123"
MsgBox, % endVar
File 1 contains the final variable (endVar) but it is composed of other variables (var1 & var2) which were not yet defined. So the end result looks like this
Var 1 is: ||
Var2 is: ||
I would prefer to have all of my SQL statements on a separate file. So what I'm asking is if there is a way to make endVar reevaluate itself in some way such that it rechecks for the values of var1 or var2.

Afterwards, I realized I could just make each variable into a function and pass it the required parameters. It's a bit more work, but it allows me to have all of the SQL on a separate file. Some of those queries are a bit long and I'd rather have them organized.
jethrow

12 Oct 2013, 22:46

Sergio wrote:Afterwards, I realized I could just make each variable into a function and pass it the required parameters. It's a bit more work, but it allows me to have all of the SQL on a separate file. Some of those queries are a bit long and I'd rather have them organized.
Yep - that would be a better setup:

MsgBox % dummySalesPlaceholderSQL(486)

dummySalesPlaceholderSQL(mainID) {
	p =
	( LTrim
    INSERT INTO ``site_Sale`` (``mainID``, ``partialSiteID``, ``siteSalePrice``, ``siteSaleQty``, ``siteSaleDate``, ``dateCollected``)
	)
	return p
}
If you want even more organization, you could store them in an object.
just me

13 Oct 2013, 00:22

Functions are better, just to show what I was talking about:

endVar := "Var 1 is: |%var1%|`nVar2 is: |%var2%|"
Transform, outVar, Deref, %endVar%
MsgBox, % outVar
Sergio

14 Oct 2013, 09:34

jethrow wrote:
Sergio wrote:Afterwards, I realized I could just make each variable into a function and pass it the required parameters. It's a bit more work, but it allows me to have all of the SQL on a separate file. Some of those queries are a bit long and I'd rather have them organized.
Yep - that would be a better setup:

MsgBox % dummySalesPlaceholderSQL(486)

dummySalesPlaceholderSQL(mainID) {
	p =
	( LTrim
	)
	return p
}
If you want even more organization, you could store them in an object.
Thanks! An object sounds better but it might be more complicated than my needs.
just me wrote:Functions are better, just to show what I was talking about:

endVar := "Var 1 is: |%var1%|`nVar2 is: |%var2%|"
Transform, outVar, Deref, %endVar%
MsgBox, % outVar
Ahh, thanks! I read up on the Transform command, but I saw that it was used to convert between unicode & Ascii or HTML encoded tags. Useful, but I didn't understand until now.

Return to “Ask for Help (v1)”